Fix It Meet in Spring - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Fix It Meet in Spring

Hey guys. I was thinking. (dangerous pastime I know)

I'd love to have some guys come and help to get the "goodies" off of the LE and onto the new LX sometime next spring (I'm thinking May). All I can supply is groceries and beer, (and parts of course) And you're on your own for a Motel room (though I will contact the hotel and ask how many rooms qualify us for a discount).

Right now, I'm thinking about May 4-6, 2007. Of course that date isn't set in stone, but its a starting place. I'm posting this now as I know how difficult it is to get thing organized and how important it is to give advance notice so things can get on the calender.

For a list of what will need to be done see the list of mods to the LE below. I want to get as many of those mods moved from the LE to the LX as possible. In addition to those, I have an 80mm LMAF, and a Mark VIII TC and flexplate sitting in my garage, along with a set of KYB shocks, and the parts for a 3.55 trac-loc.

You can post here or contact me at [email protected]

Tentative Responses received from:

Godspeed - Joel - tentative
Silenced - Ryan
TSC89 - Jim
Sinhumane - Tyler
KansasCupercoupe - Matt
Thunderbird96 - Jason
TMcColl - Tony
jtsmith - Jon(?) tentative
T_byrd87 - David

Things to be installed/swapped

J-Mod - Tranny waiting to go in
PI cams - Done
Mark VIII TC
Front/rear sway bars - rear done
instruments (SHO done and aftermarket needs to be done)
Various Poly bushings and mounts rear diff done
True duals - done
stereo - done
Leather seats - Done and sold
Wheels/tires - done
PI Intake - Done
Ported plenum/TB done
3.27 trac-loc - Done
Mark VIII driveshaft - Done
Eibach springs - done
KYB shocks - done
PBR brakes - Done

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>

Last edited by Traveler; 05-07-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 08:33 PM
CEO, WT Club

Send a message via AIM to GODSPEED Send a message via MSN to GODSPEED
Sounds good man, I'll pencil it in. Will this be in Parsons? We should do a full blown meet and all the guys can strip her bare for ya. Any racetracks/shows around? Glad you got a new one allready!

-Joel

Previous MN12s:
'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 - Performance White
Bought 01/12/08 w/ 33,000 original mi. Big plans, little execution. Sold as a fallen victim to life's happenings.
Leaky shifter @ 137,441; what a good ride. Gone to the crusher, but not forgotten... moth and rust doth corrupt.

'13 Mustang GT Premium 5.0L V8, Auto, Brembo, Black - Daily Dark Horse
'11 Edge SEL AWD 3.5L V6, Loaded, Black - For the Misses
'98 F-150 XLT RegCab 8'Bed, 4.6L V8 4x4 ORP Oxford White - Work Truck

post #3 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yea, it'll be in Parsons. Can't move the car without a tow truck and right now its in my driveway. A full blown meet would be great. We've got a few good places to eat in town, and a couple nice parks. MoKan dragway is just about 30-40 minutes away, and as I said I'll look into the local motels. The folks I work with have a preference, I'll ask them.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
<<< SOLD >>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 11:47 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Custom CAI - P&P'd 04 Mustang TB & Intake Plenum - MAC underdrive pullies - Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/ true duals - Tranny cooler - SHO gauges w/Scotts faces - PBR Twin Piston Calipers - J-Mod - 93 Mark VIII Driveshaft - 3.27 Trac-Loc rear diff - SCT chip tuned by LONNIE - 89 SC sway bars - Eibach Springs - BFGoodrich G-Force Sports 255/50/16
Things I can install:
* Custom CAI - P&P'd 04 Mustang TB & Intake Plenum
* PI Intake manifold
* MAC underdrive pullies (if you have the tools)
* Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/ true duals (If you have a good lift and a long socket wrench)
* Tranny Cooler (Plate style or Tube and fin??)

Things I have no experiance with:
* SC Sway Bars
* Eibach Springs
* SHO Guages (is it a 97??)
* PBR Twin Piston Calipers

We "Could" swap in the marauder converter, and the flexplate, but it is seriously a pain in the *** without dropping the entire transmission. Even then, the flexplate might be hard to get on. It actually might be easier to pull the entire engine on the new car to do it.

I suggest you get a real converter from Alan before you spend the time pulling the engine. Its worth it. If your in KC on a weekend, give me a call and I'll take you for a short spin.

We can do the driveshaft, and the differential if we have time. The hardest part about that is getting it lifted in.

BTW, If I go, I'm riding with Joel The Coug has a drinking problem at the moment!
post #5 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:21 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

I'd be up to come down and turn some wrenches. Be even cooler to have a full blown meet out of it - those that want to come help, come help - and those that don't - just come and hang out. Got room to BBQ? Just do that Sat night.

And depending on how soon you'd want the car moved, I could come down with my trailer and find a way to load it - and I can take it somewhere if its close. Depends on how ready you'd be to take it somewhere. But I have no problem with driving down and helping.

-Melon

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #6 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
CEO, WT Club

I'll cook a bit, I have some mad grillin' skillz.

-Joel

Previous MN12s:
Bought 01/12/08 w/ 33,000 original mi. Big plans, little execution. Sold as a fallen victim to life's happenings.
Leaky shifter @ 137,441; what a good ride. Gone to the crusher, but not forgotten... moth and rust doth corrupt.

post #7 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
LOL Yea, I've got room for a cookout. (Big fenced in backyard)

Silenced, I like your post with list of skills etc. I have experience (obviously) with everything but the PI intake and TC. So you can help with what you do know and learn the stuff you don't! (Well, that would apply to all attending). The reason I have the Mark VIII TC is finances. I got a great deal on it. I'd like to have one built for me, but just can't afford it. And as I'm not going to producing a huge amount of power I figure the M.8 TC can handle it.

Melon, thanks for the offer but I don't really have a place to take the car to at the moment! If something comes up, I'll let you know.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #8 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 05:48 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
Melon, thanks for the offer but I don't really have a place to take the car to at the moment! If something comes up, I'll let you know.
That's a 10-4 on that.. If you end up with a potential buyer of what's left and it's on my way home - or have a place to drop it off that weekend - then let me know. Otherwise, I'll come down in my 'Bird. I'll even pass the word around here - might be a few others that may come down too if they have the free weekend. There's plenty of time between now and then to figure it out.

-Melon

2000 Explorer 5.0
post #9 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 06:45 PM
PostWhore

A few questions:

How are you wanting to get the TC and flexplate in? Pull the engine or the trans?

What type of transmission cooler are you using? and are you planning on using it when you get a substantial converter that locks up? or are you revising it later?

Once again, is your tune setup for the LMAF?
post #10 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
TC and Flexplate depends on who and how many show up that feel capable of dropping a tranny (I don't see the need to pull the engine at this point). I'd like to get it done, but I'll need to know in advance so I can have the chip programmed for it (along with the LMAF). The chip is currently wrapped carefully in bubblewrap and is sitting in my desk waiting to be sent to Lonnie next spring.

Tranny cooler will either be a tube and fin cooler that I have laying around, or (depending on its condition) the plate style Ford E250 cooler from the LE. In either case it is going in regardless of wether I keep the stock TC or get the Mark VIII TC installed.

I'll try to get some parts pulled from the LE beforehand as weather and time permit, allowing more time for installing them on the LX that weekend.

I'd LOVE to get a set of Romeo PI cams to go along with the PI intake before then, but we'll have to wait and see what presents itself.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #11 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
PostWhore

If you have the brackets, definately get the tune for the LMAF! I'm not sure there really is anything to tune with the mk8 converter. I'm running 3800 stall, and the lockup points are just fine.

It would really be good if you could use the plate style cooler. The reason I was asking if you were planning on locking the converter at WOT is that you'll need stronger cooler lines. That way you don't have to redo it down the road.

Dono if these are Romeo or not, but:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=92961
post #12 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Only reason I want romeos is the bolt on Sprockets, eliminating the need to remove the front cover. Of course if we're putting on Underdrive pullies anyway, and putting in other things in the front.........

When I bought my chip used it was already programmed for a Mark VIII TC. When I had Lonnie retune it, he said that I could use it with my regular TC, but it would be best not to. Particularly if I was going to be racing much. So since I'm going to be getting a tune for the LMAF, I might as well mention the TC change. Of course it might be possible to run a Mark VIII TC with a stock tune, but not a stock TC with a Mark VIII tune. Have to look into that.

As for the cooler, even if the one I had is torn up, I'm sure I can pick up another one at a salvage yard. Just find a wrecked E-250 or 350. I got the last one from a salvage van Dad had. (Yea, I'm cheap)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #13 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 10:14 PM
PostWhore

Whatever works I totally spaced, and didn't realise that the deer got you in the front, lol.
post #14 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well the car we'll be putting the parts on won't have any front end damage. But, to get the tools and other stuff in there to do the pullies the radiator will have to be at least loosened.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #15 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Poster

I'll pencil it in on my calendar also. I would probably be there Friday evening.
post #16 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well the PI swap will be done sooner than expected (and pricier than expected). I took the car in to have the coolant system flushed and they found the plastic intake was cracked (imagine that).

The good news is that I already have a PI intake in my shed. So all I have to do is get a set of gaskets and the tube parts underneath and we should be good to go.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #17 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Hey, if anyone out there has one of those tools for installing Romeo cams without removing the front cover, I'd sure love it if you'd bring it with you (if you're coming). If you're not coming, can you let me borrow it? I'll pay shipping both ways if its cheaper than buying the tool.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #18 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 AM
CEO, WT Club

Drop the 3.8. Have you ever driven a 4.6?

-Joel

Previous MN12s:

post #19 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-15-2006, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhumane
hope to have my HG changed fixed, or sittin in a new bird by then.. dunno what help i can be, other than an extra pair of hands...
Extra hands are often just what is needed. come on by.

I still need to talk to the manager at the hotels in town and see if we can get a deal. I'm taking the rest of the year off so I'll get it done then.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #20 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 06:41 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

Extra hands.. that's about all I'm good for

And I'll be there - just gotta let me know which weekend

And the offer still stands on the trailer

-Melon

2000 Explorer 5.0

Last edited by Melon; 12-22-2006 at 02:57 PM.
post #21 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Extra hands are always welcome. (tools to) And as far as I know its still on May 4-6, 2007.

I think I'm just going to strip and part out the LE as far as I can, then sell the hulk to the local salvage yard so they can come and get it.

If we work quickly enough (and I have all the parts ready to go) we should be able to hit the drag strip that sat. evening. (still waiting for their 2007 schedule to be posted)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>

Last edited by Traveler; 02-23-2007 at 03:09 PM.
post #22 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-30-2006, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well, if you can make it run enough to get here, I'm sure we can spare some time to work on your car as well. The more good weather we get, the more will be done to my car before May. If it is ALL done before then (I doubt that will happen, but IF) we can have a meet with a cookout and a trip to the dragstrip.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #23 of 400 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 01:22 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
... and a trip to the dragstrip.
Lets run em'!
post #24 of 400 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Ok, it looks like there is a major event scheduled in TX that is on the same weekend.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=94130

So how about May 5th and 6th? (arriving on the 4th if you'd like). We can get the cars running good, and then go to Mokan to try em out before the FordBastards meet in Texas on the 19th and 20th.

Let me know if the change hurts/helps anyone.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>
post #25 of 400 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 06:30 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

The date works for me. It's still far enough in the future that I'm not effected either way.

-Melon

2000 Explorer 5.0
post #26 of 400 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Ok, I've checked on a couple Motels in Parsons (well, the ones that are worthy of staying in anyway).

There is a Best Western that has a range of 69.95 to 74.95. Thats with no discount, and they said that to get a group rate I needed to get 10 rooms. But I haven't talked to the manager yet, so there's hope for a better rate. Of course if you can get a military rate, or government rate, senior citizen rate, or some such thing then you can already get better rates.

Best Western Parsons Inn
101 East Main Street
Parsons, Kansas
United States 67357

Best Western has offered a Corporate rate if we can get 7 reservations made. She'll take the reservations at the regular rate, and when she hits 7 the corporate rate takes effect for all of the rooms. So be sure to tell her you're with TCCoA when you make your reservations. Of course you'll save more money if you buddy up on the rooms, but thats up to you.

There is also a Super 8 that has a range of 59.00 to 69.00. Again, the same applies to the that motel as I haven't been able to talk to the manager yet.

Super 8 Motel Parsons
229 East Main
Parson, Kansas
United States 67357

I will keep the thread updated as I find out more.

For those that are interested in Racing. There is nothing higher than 91 octane here in Parsons. You can get 110 octane racing fuel in Joplin. I'm still working on being able to get avgas from the airport.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>

Last edited by Traveler; 04-20-2007 at 02:11 PM.
post #27 of 400 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:53 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

It's nice to see the two hotels of my preference are in Parsons I'm up in the air on coming - waiting to see what's going on with us (Nebraska guys) in the spring. I'm working on dividing up my vacation time between a wedding, a good vacation for me, and still get to some car events

-Melon

2000 Explorer 5.0
post #28 of 400 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 04:15 PM
PostWhore

what happend to the LE?

2007 White Ford Focus SE ZX3 Hatchback (The new driver)
1997 Alpine Green 4.6L Bird (SOLD!)

Mods:
Removed Air silencer, Clear Corners, Silverstar headlights and corner lights, Moroso Bluemax Spiral Core wires, Custom 3" Magnaflow exhaust with 2.5" Y-Pipe, 300-450 HP J-mod Kit by dirtyd0g , Hayden 30k GVWR Trans Cooler, Sport Front Suspension, 03-04 Cobra Rear Shocks, PBR Front Brake Swap, Xcal 2 by Lonnie @ Blueovalchips.com, 22C plugs, 180F T-stat, 02GT MAF/Airbox with K&N Drop in, Griffin Radiator, Cobra Water Pump
post #29 of 400 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

It met the unfortunate demise with a deer a few months ago It's sitting in his driveway at the moment... shame to see such a nice car go.

-Melon

2000 Explorer 5.0
post #30 of 400 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson502
what happend to the LE?
Yea, it hit a 12 point buck. Theres a thread here somewhere about it do a search for "deer". Its got pics of the LE after the deer.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in