Anyone interested in helping me spend some money on my car this summer? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Anyone interested in helping me spend some money on my car this summer?

As the title says. I am going to have to do a major overhaul on my 95 tbird this summer if i want to keep driving it (which i do). It has ~208,xxx miles and the transmission is going out. (slipping out of reverse, taking a long time to get into gear after stopping, etc.) I would like to put an Explorer engine and a newer tranny in. the problem is I don't have a clue what I am doing. I know very little about cars. I have replaced most of my front suspension and my fuel pump by myself, and that is about as far as I have gotten on my own. sorry for the length. just thought i would check for volunteers. thanks, besides, what's more fun than spending someone else's money?

Seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 AM
PostWhore

Most importantly, how is the rust? If you don't mind, I'd like to see pictures of that before I suggest extensive funparts If its not too bad, then we'll talk about your goals.

Powered by:
Megasquirt EMS, Vortech Superchargers, Renegade Racing, Gator1980Transmission, Innovative Motorsports, Devil's Own, Magnaflow, Eibach, KYB, Kooks
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhumane View Post
definitely.... if your rockers are rusted (like mine) dont put your effort into this car. get it driveable, and start saving for a new one. or buy parts that can be swapped over if you get a new one. (such as exhaust, intake, gears, springs etc.)
I agree completely. I wouldn't swap springs, but thats just me... I hate using used parts like that.

We need a budget!!

Powered by:
Megasquirt EMS, Vortech Superchargers, Renegade Racing, Gator1980Transmission, Innovative Motorsports, Devil's Own, Magnaflow, Eibach, KYB, Kooks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I still think you should get a real bad cold *cough* *cough* the weekend of the fix it meet.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

hehe traveler.. wish i could. maybe if it wasn't a new job hate to get on hospital administration's bad side this soon. as far as rust..... what rust? it's a mississippi car.

here are pics of the car.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=97020
no underside shots though.

seth
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 AM
PostWhore

Sweet :P No rust monster for you... (Lucky bastard)

Here's what I'd get for different budgets. Mind you Im a drivetrain guy, so I'm not going to suggest you buy springs and shocks since I don't fully understand them.

$500
- Thunderbird Sport 16s, and 255/55/16s
- Transmission cooler with solid lines

With $2000
- Transmission cooler
- Gears (3.73 if you don't plan on revving to 6k)
- Driveshaft (The 6061 T6 will be balanced plety well unless you're going over 125 with 4.10s)

With $3500
- FULLY built J-modded transmission
- 3500-3800 stall 9.5" Dirtydog converter
- Trans cooler
- Tune

$3500 option 2 (boo!!)
- Trans cooler with solid lines
- $1500 exploder PI motor
- Tune
- Exhaust
- Fuel pump
- 02GT Maf if you can afford it

$5000
- FULLY built J-modded transmission
- 3500-3800 stall 9.5" Dirtydog converter
- Trans cooler
- Tune
- Gears (3.73 if you don't plan on revving to 6k)
- Driveshaft (The 6061 T6 will be balanced plety well unless you're going over 125 with 4.10s)

There are cars out there with PI Intakes, gears and stall that run mid 14s. That's with the stock 95 motor too. It all depends on your end goal with the car. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, go for drivetrain mods... That way you have the transmission beefed up to last longer, and have time to save for a real motor. I know I'll have people biting my ass for this, but the drivetrain is what makes the car fast (in a straight line), not the engine. The engine's job is only to carry its torque to as high of RPM as possible before fading out.

Powered by:

Last edited by Silenced; 04-18-2007 at 10:24 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Well,
as far as funds go. i for sure am getting 2500 tax return. Beyond that is negotiable. i don't want to spend my whole savings for sure. I Know I need a new transmission. I have already emailed Darrin to find out prices from him. and as i stated before, my engine has 208,xxxish and burns alot of oil, so i think i am due for another one of those. i'm not opposed to halfway rebuilding the one i have if it is ridiculously cheaper. just seeing what my options are and who would be willing to help or teach me how to do it.
BTW: I also already did the PBR upgrade.

Seth
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 PM
PostWhore

How much oil is your car burning? If its NOT burning at least 1 qt / 3000 miles, I would worry What trasmission problems are you having?