2Likes
  • 1 Post By RalphP
  • 1 Post By Praetorious

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Need some help with ignition timing

I replaced a worn vacuum line and all the intake manifold gaskets last week. To do this, I pulled the distributor and the spark plug wires without marking them, thinking it was easy enough to install them back with the proper firing order and a timing light.
Now the car won't idle anymore and I hear popping sounds in the exhaust, as if the timing is completely off.

I've already checked TDC and compression on cilinder 1 by placing my thumb on the spark plug hole and had someone rotate the crank shaft, set the timing mark on the balancer to 0°, installed the distributor with the #1 marking facing the driver position, installed the spark plug wires according to the firing order on the sticker under the hood, pulled the SPOUT connector and set the timing to 10° BTDC.
I've checked the firing order and timing at least three times and even tried the firing order of a non-HO version just to be sure the camshaft wasn't replaced with a different one by the previous owner. Still no luck.

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foto0163.jpg (1.46 MB, 0 views)

May the downforce be with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:26 PM
5th Gear Poster

Could be a limp mode and disconnecting the battery for a minute might reset that after you set the timing. I never actually set my timing. It was done once when the Cobra intake went on my engine.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:57 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I would help if I could, but I know nothing about the 5.0 cars.

It's been years since I saw a distributor.

What does the timing go to with the spout connector connected?

Does it help to turn the distributor slightly? (I used to do this while it was running on the old Tbird, but there were Points inside it, lol.)

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:42 PM
Kind of slapped together

My first guess is that you may be 180* out ... Did you verify it was TDC on the compression stroke, and not the exhaust stroke?

Grog6 - it disables all advance when you pull the SPOUT connector, which allows you to set the static timing. Factory is 10* before, but I've heard of folks running up to 14* to 16* before in order to get a bit more oomph out.

RwP
Grog6 likes this.

Fuelly
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Found the problem! I had another vacuum leak under the intake manifold. Thanks for all the advice.

BTW, does anyone know why there are 2 hoses running to the PCV valve?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foto0162.jpg (1.09 MB, 2 views)

May the downforce be with you.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:25 AM

I believe it aids in oil control from the PVC,the more the oil has to travel the less chances it will get to places it doesn't need to be,i think in the early days they only had one hose and then went with 2, blowby on these motors is a problem sometimes,the intake on these motors have a plate under the PCV valve (inside the intake) to minimize the oil the PVC can pull by design,some intakes came with longer plates (the good ones) the not so good have a short plate and let more oil into the PVC so i think on those they put 2 hoses.
ErwinN likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in