Selfridge Air Show ?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Selfridge Air Show ??

Just wondering who's gonna be there and which day ? I still haven't decided which day I'm going yet but either day I'll probably be there from 12 or 1:00 till it ends.

1996 T-bird, 4.6 with ported PI heads and VT stage 2 cams, JBA shorty headers, 3000 stall converter, 3.73 gears and just about every bolt on available.
Dyno tune results: 275.9rwhp and 301.4 torque.
Best 1/4 mile time: 13.65 at 99.52 mph.
Now I need more gear, more stall and some drag radials !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Listening on 141.850 mHz!

I'm going Sunday. Be there around 1:30 ~ 2:00 or so, only interested in seeing the Thunderbirds. They're already here, flew in around 1 PM yesterday dodging the storms. They should go up soon today for a practice session.

Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 4.6L Cobra V8
1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition 4.6L V8 - gone.
Might be a 2005-2007 Jaguar XJ-8 L in my future.

[email protected]
Westland, Michigan - but I'm from central New Jersey!
http://www.hoodliners.net - My hoodliners I make!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Cool, I'll try to watch for ya. Do you know if there's a schedule anywhere that says the times that the different planes will be flying ?? I've been trying to find something like that but haven't had any luck.

1996 T-bird, 4.6 with ported PI heads and VT stage 2 cams, JBA shorty headers, 3000 stall converter, 3.73 gears and just about every bolt on available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
I won't be even close to the humanity that will be encompassing Selfridge ANG. I would prefer to keeping my sanity.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 PM

QkTbird - there should be a schedule posted at www.selfridgeairshow.org.

I'll be at the Joy Rd VIP entrance, by one of the hangars, away from the crowd so I doubt you'll see me! I'll be near if not with the Thunderbirds. I knew some of the pilots in years past.

If you have a good handheld scanner that can get the military aircraft band in AM mode you may want these frequencies for the diamond formation and solos:

141.0750 MHz, 235.2500 MHz

Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"

[email protected]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Gonzalo.....did you make it out there Sunday ?? I tried to get there but after almost 2 hours I said F*@K this and got it the fast lane on 94 and kept going till there wasn't an exit all backed up. For some stupid reason they had all the exits shut down. I always would get off at the North River Road exit and would usually take 30-45 min to get in the gates and park. But to that exit ramp after about an hour stuck in the traffic and is was closed.....Figured that they were using the M-59 exit but another 30 min later that was closed and said to use the 21 mile exit.......finally get to that one and it's closed too....WTF !! I gave up and had to go up the the richmond/new haven exit to get off and turn around. I think I'll just stick with going to the other air shows where you have to pay to attend. At least I can get to them without all the trouble. LOL

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Hey QkTbird - I made it there Sunday around 2:45 or so, got shuffled around because of the I-696 construction and closure, got off on Campbell-Hilton Rd and went north to 14 Mile Rd east to I-94. Got off on M-59 (exit 241) and then looped around to get to Gratiot Ave south, hung a left on Joy Blvd and got into the secure area opposite all the people. I got in because I have Thunderbirds credentials and Official Vehicle placards - I had friends on the Thunderbirds a few years back, both pilots and enlisted support.

I parked on the apron/ramp in front of the hangar where the Thunderbirds team was, about 100 yards from the F-16 jets, and about 50 feet from the A-10 tank-killers. My buddy Dave and I hung out in my Mark VIII LSC in comfort, listening to 87.9 FM where the airshow audio was simulcast, and we were FAR away from the crowd. Of course from that vantage point we were viewing the airshow demo from the opposite angle and to the right of show center. At a couple points the jets flew about 50 feet above our heads, VERY loud and VERY fast.

Would have liked a clearer day with no clouds, as it was they flew a "flat" show because of the low ceilings. They waited about 15 minutes on the ground on the runway for a brief light rain shower to pass. I listened to all the action on my handheld scanner radio that can pick up the military aircraft frequencies.

Hopefully next time they come to Selfridge we can coordinate?

Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"

[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in