Moving, where not to live? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 4 Cam Bird
Moving, where not to live?

I'm moving up to the Detroit area, work is relocating me. I'm going to be working in Southfield just off whatever interstate goes east to west up there, 94...294? I forget and Telegraph. So living somwehre not too far from that area would be nice but who knows where I'll be able to find something suitable. I am really wondering if there is any where close to that area I would want to avoid? I've been from the airport up to Chrysler Tech Center and to the Jeep Truck facility, which I know I want to be no where close to because it was ghetto as hell there and I've been around a little bit more but not enough to really see a lot of the area and I havne't really been in any neighborhoods at all. So, I was just wondering if any of you guys up there could give any recommendations of good or bad areas to live so I know what to stay away from. Thanks for any pointers. I look forward to being up there and meeting up with some new T-bird guys and checking things up there out more in general.

Former owner of 94 Bird with DOHC 4.6L swapped from a mark VIII

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 07:40 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to T-bird_fan
Ya I would stay away from JTE area, CTC area s nice but pricey I believe for the most part. If you are working at Southfield and I-94 that is pretty much Dearborn area which means high taxes if you are buying a house. Allen Park and a few other cities are around there as well which should have some good house prices. Hope this helps

J-Mod, MMC D/S, 24k gvw Tranny Cooler, Mark VIII TC,13” KVR Frt brakes, FRPP 3.73 rear, PI cams & Intake plus P&P NPI heads with the cooling mod, 1 3/8" Rr swaybar.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I don't really plan on buying a house right away. Probably move up there and rent a house for at least a year and see how things go. Thanks for the pointers.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
1968 Torino was an original 289, C4, fully documented numbers matching car. Now: DOHC 4.6L/T-56 swapped, Cobra intake, IMRC delete, BBK long tubes and H pipe. Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft, 9" rear with TrueTrac and 4.11's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:51 PM

Working in Southfield, off of an east west freeway? Unless I'm reading wrong, sounds like 696 is the freeway. Southfield is fairly safe, with plenty of apartments, as well as the surrounding cities. Basically anything above 8 Mile is cool.
However, if I can't read as well as I think I can, T Bird Fan spoke true wisdom...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:21 PM

I'm looking for housing right now myself, though I'm looking more in the Detroit area because I go to school at WSU. There are some nice places to live in Detroit-apartments, townhouses, condos- near WSU, downtown, or in New Center. I've also been looking into apartments in Southfield, it's a nice area and there seems to be a lot available over there. Royal Oak is a few minutes down the freeway, it's more of a trendy-expensive place, but it's nice. And I'll agree with Saint, the freeway is 696. I'm looking forward to see another TCCoA guy in town, especially one with such a nice 'Bird. And unless I'm remembering wrong, you're into autocross as well. I'm going to be trying to get a few of those going for our Michigan chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 08:25 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

4 Cam Bird,

It sounds like you'll work near I-696 and Telegraph. Some places to avoid are actually a bit of a drive to there (I've had bad experiences in Brownstown and Southgate while renting apartments). North of that area is Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills ($$$³); east is Berkely, then Royal Oak (an ok area, I think, but may have a price tag as well). West is Farmington/Farmington Hills (may have a price tag, also). Due south of Southfield is northwest Detroit.

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, you can find some decent housing at reasonable prices in Dearborn Heights (~11-12 miles south of Southfield on Telegraph) and Westland (sort of a few miles west of Dearborn Heights). The Oakland County housing usually comes with a lofty price, though you may find something you like right in Southfield itself.

Try some of the apartment and housing search engines, and you'll get an idea of what you may find. If there's any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

696, yeah, I think that is the one. It most definitely is, just looked at one of the old rental car maps that was laying here.

Yeah, I auto x. Probably be my last event in the Nebraska region this coming Sunday. I've succeeded in getting a few of the other MN-12 guys here to a couple auto x's. I hope to not have the only one at the events up there. Actually sort of working on finding some cheap wheels to put some Hoosiers on. Was it you that has the set in the classifieds right now slomo? Found another sweet deal on another set too. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the tips.

2011 CTS-V Wagon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Boost Happy

Send a message via AIM to Jurgen
try finding a place in livonia or westland also looking forward to meet you
i got a set of wheels but ur have to wait until u get here i guess
and hopefully u keep ur bird

Jurgen

1994 Ford Thunderbird
2002 Corvette Z06
Yeah I got a few mods.And Some More
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/239875
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, I'm not selling the Bird. I'm trailering it up there with the Lightning. I have to sell my beater Ranger though, I'm gonna miss that thing.

2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in