Need a favor... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
Need a favor...

does someone attend/live near the University of Minnesota? im thinking of transferring there after i get these gen ed classes retaken/passed at a local community college here. any help is appreciated.

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

what are you looking for? info?

MidwestThundercats.com
15.183 @ 91.19mph - 2.236 60' :: nothing but a tune and 103s
178.7RWHP :: 244.2RWTQ
Sold

Driving a Chevy, next is a Mustang.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Resident redneck

Send a message via AIM to redneckcougarguy Send a message via MSN to redneckcougarguy
yeah info what its like how much snow yall get some pics maybe.

-Steven

Project Rust Prevention: 1990 Buick Regal, Toilet Capacity engine, new trim paint, 57K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

well I was down there probalby 5 years ago..

Campus is pretty big, with a couple buildings being across the Missouri River which makes for a decent walk. Everywhere else on campus, IMO, is easily accessed from residence halls by foot. I walked most of the way from south to north across campus and it wasn't bad (10-12 blocks maybe? I dont' remember for sure). Parking is miserable from what I gathered (I was dropped off and picked up 2 weeks later when I was done).. I understand it's only upper classes that have the ability to have a car on campus, so weigh that in how you will. However, not having a car isn't THAT bad as right around campus they have what they refer to as 'Dinky Town'. You'll basically find anything you'll need within a few blocks there... Fast Food chains, Coffee shops, laundromats, etc.

Was only in the one residence hall, and it wasn't bad. The majority of campus is deffiently well developed, however the quad-plex of residence halls (there may be more, but there are 4 buildings including a commons area together here) has a nice park in the middle with a basketball court, probably a volleyball court. There are a couple small park areas around the campus, but otherwise it's all concrete.

I personally really liked it, but I also like to have my mobility so being without a car would have been very difficult for me (especially knowing quite a few people around Minneapolis/St Paul). Campus is exponentially larger that the one I'm on now, but it was easy enough to get around...

Snow.. of course it all depends. It'll deffinetly get cold. I can't say personally how much snow sticks around down there (I'm sure they haul a lot out as there's just nowhere to put any).

Deffinite plus about UofM-TC... you're just south of Unniversity (well, Unniversity runs through the north side of campus IIRC), which was known as one of the greatest cruise scenes in the nation (best cruising is from there east for a few miles).

probably grab some more info off of www.umn.edu Do have a few virtual tours you can check out there.

In my personal opinion...the biggest things I'd consider are:
How do you feel about campus size? Are you against a fairly large campus? (I'm currently on a campus that's maybe 3 blocks wide and 8-10 long... going to UofM-TC would be a HUGE change)
Include in that the campus population.
How do you feel about having a car immediately available to you? Like I say, it'll be tought getting a parking pass if you're new. However you can get most of what you'll need by walking. Not sure how the mas-transit system is down there to put that up as an option.

MidwestThundercats.com
Sold

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Resident redneck

thanks for your help, i asked here because i wanted someone's opinion who wasnt trying to sell me some bull**** as to why i need to go there. large campus wont bother me one bit, the on ei was at before this community college the longest walk to class was 20 minutes to the one building in downtown akron. i know id need to stay on campus for at least the first year, so id be looking for a storage type of place for my car. walking isnt a problem, and i asked about the snow because i can wear flip-flops in up to 6 inches of snow before i have to put on shoes because my feet are cold. is UM-TC the main campus or would that be in the state capital? Thanks for your help by the way i really appreciate it.

-Steven

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckcougarguy
is UM-TC the main campus or would that be in the state capital? Thanks for your help by the way i really appreciate it.

well, UM-TC has 2 campuses IIRC..

good maps
http://onestop.umn.edu/Maps/mpls.jpg
http://onestop.umn.edu/Maps/stpaul.gif

the Minneapolis campus is the main campus from what I gathered. Then of course there's a bus that runs between the two...

across the river is built up more than I remember (with campus buildings)...

and I had dinkytown confused with stadium village. Stadium village has a lot of what you'll need as well (Dinkytown will still as well, I was just thinking dinkytown was down on the east side of campus more)

and now I'm not sure what buildings exactly are residence halls, but I do know that the quadplex is (the one I was talking about)
(Territorial, Centennial, Frontier, Pioneer)

almost ended up down there myself. Spent 2 weeks down there for some honors classes when I was in HS. Only reason I'm probably not there is I was late on getting in an application.

I'm trying to remember if any of the guys at our site have gone to school there...

MidwestThundercats.com
Sold

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Resident redneck

thanks for the maps, and i have to agree that minneapolis is the main campus with st. paul as the agricultural campus. nice to know that architecture is right next to mech. engineering.

-Steven

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in