TCCoA Forums banner

Overheating? Darrin or Allan -- need your help?

620 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tutuluke 
#1 ·
Need help guys ---

Recently installed a lowmile tranny (had 18K on it as per recycler) in my car. It did look brand new when it arrived. Filled it with Mercon V and new filter and have been driving it. Shifts are smooth and no obvious problems in the beginning.

The more I drive the car, it seems that the engine is running harder and harder (higher RPMS) -- this was also proven that i was burning alot more gas as time went on. After about 5K on the new installed tranny, I checked the dip stick and mercon V has slightly changed color from light pink and there is the distinct burn tranny fluid smell which is not yet strong I can smell a slight burn smell to it

Dropped the tranny pan and the magnet has lots of clutch material sticking to it -- I was not expecting to see that much after only driving 5K on tranny. (pan and magner was cleaned before filling the tranny with fresh mercon V)

Was the tranny pooched to begin with or what could be causing this obvious overheating of the tranny fluid/ tranny. No falshing O/D lights etc -- no codes either? Sticky valve body? Checked the lines and cooler and no obstructions there either -- definately a tranny related issue I have got

NOTE: Shifts are still smooth but I can still feel the engine is running alot harder than it should

If it is sticky valve body, how to clean / repair it?

Thanks guys for all the help .....

NOTE: Car is a daily driver and I don't drive hard at all - No WOT or anything like that

See less See more
#3 ·
No I didn't flush the cooler as I didn't feel that there was a need for it -- my old tranny didn't go bad -- it was running fine but had alot of miles on it so I decided to change it before it quit on me on one of my trips.

The fluid in the old tranny was not burnt at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.