Car trying to overheat..........it's getting very old....... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Car trying to overheat..........it's getting very old.......

I dont know why, and have no clue. My car is almost always trying to overheat lately. It tried to the other day, and almost did today.

Tonight I had to cancel a poker game because I drove about 4-5 miles, went to the bank and noticed the car was on the M.

Took off, car started to cool down a lil bit. Then bout 20 seconds later, it climbed up. The check gauges light came on, then instantly off, then instantly on, then instantly off. The temp gauge was dancing (moving back and forth, back and forth) between the end of the M and bout 3/4 to the H. I would finally go down to the mid of normal, but it wouldnt stay very long at all. It would climb right back up in about 15 seconds. (IT NEVER REACHED THE H)

I cant freakin figure out why my car is wanting to overheat! especially now that the weather is startin to get warmer, it's running hotter. I've bled the radiator properly, and I have put fluid in the resivoir (but it's always bone dry later on when I check it.....there's nothing ever in there)

All I could think of while this was happening was "oh great.........I dont want to do another HG job. I'm canceling poker tonight. (especially cause I thought I smelled oil burning!!!

Needless to say I took my money I was going to use for poker and bought a OE 190* T-stat, and some radiator fluid.

The other day I was driving it, and it kinda sat right around the M for about 90% of the ride, then would go down a little bit, then climb right back up to the M.

I know, the car runs cooler with the 180* stat, but I always get nervous because it sits below the N most of the time, then will climb up........then will get to the M then open up, and watch the temp drop back down to the N.

I dont want to get rid of the bird (especially after I've poured all my blood, sweat and tears and not to mention $$$ into the thing) but if it keeps doing this overheating thing, something's gotta give.

Yes, I replaced the temp sensors on the vehicle about a year ago. I've had this 180* stat for a while now, so I guess it's probably time to get a new one gone in there.

Has anyone else had any problems/experience similar to what I am having?

~X=Remember, every problem is a blessing in disguise=X~

96 3.8 NA, 180* T-Stat, PnP Upper and Lower intake, Air Silencer Removed 9" K&N added to fender well, Mild J-modded transmission, 24K B&M Supercooler, 2.25" dual Magnaflow high-flow cats w/2.25" di/do Magnaflow, JVC El-Kameleon LX-30.

RIP Orion 800.4 amp, and Ascendant Audio 12" sub. Caught on fire in trunk...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 12:46 AM
It is nice

thermostat, water pump, head gasket, fan could be anything but since your losing coolant faster than normal seems that you must have a leak internal or external somewhere.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

well i'm hopin a new t-stat will end up fixin it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

96 3.8 NA, 180* T-Stat, PnP Upper and Lower intake, Air Silencer Removed 9" K&N added to fender well, Mild J-modded transmission, 24K B&M Supercooler, 2.25" dual Magnaflow high-flow cats w/2.25" di/do Magnaflow, JVC El-Kameleon LX-30.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 01:33 AM
Banned

so your coolant is dissapearing and your jus gonna put in a new thermastat?

check your spark plugs to see if they are soaked in coolant, check for leaks, pressurize the system and see where it leaks, use dye to find the leak or check the head gaskets again, & check all clamps/hoses. thats where i would start.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

well I guess I shouldnt say that. I'm going to stick a new t-stat in it, flush the radiator, refill it, and hope that it works. I dont know why but from what I've read the 3.8 has always had a mysterious coolant dissapearing act, that most people havent found out why.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 AM
3rd Gear Poster

One simple thing you can quickly check, make sure your air dam is still on your car. If you are loosing coolant though it probably isn't the air dam, but hey it wouldn't hurt to make sure.

1991 Cougar LS BlueMax

Current MODs:
Removed Air Silencer
K&N Filter
70mm MAF
9mm Ford Racing Wires

Future MODs:
5.0 Swap
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Found my problem.

My idoler pully.......well, the one that sits w/altenator is completely missing! there is actually no round piece there at all!!!

This is why my belt is split almost in half, and the reason why the car was bouncing up and down temp wise, cause the belt was loose on it.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Replaced the idler pulley, got new thermostat, and flushed and refilled the system.

It's weird to not see it around the "N" or below it, it creeps up towards the M and I get worried, but remember that I stuck a higher thermostat inside of it.

Fan comes on, I know the thermostat is workin cause I can hear it click when it opens up.

Noticed why the temp gauge was bouncing all around yesterday. Wanna take a guess? Here's a riddle for you.

Here's a new riddle for you:

Riddle me this, riddle me that. Why is it every time my subwoofer hits, it messes with my thermostat?

I was sitting at a light watching the temperature gauge. Well........I noticed that every time my subwoofer hit, the temperature gauge went up, then would drop when the sub wasnt hitting.

I'm going to have to guess that the sub is drawing too much power from everything, thus causing everything to slow down, and the car to heat up (I watched it do this, the check gauges light would come on, and then off, then on, then off again, as it crept closer to the H)

Kinda weird?!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

higher amperage alternator upgrade time?

test your current one at vatozone or something...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

possibly. I replaced it with a brand new one in October (it caught fire on my 22nd b-day) bought from Schucks w/lifetime warranty on it.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindloser1080 View Post
well I guess I shouldnt say that. I'm going to stick a new t-stat in it, flush the radiator, refill it, and hope that it works. I dont know why but from what I've read the 3.8 has always had a mysterious coolant dissapearing act, that most people havent found out why.
I had an old 3.8 in my tbird a few years back that magically lost coolant all the time. Never could figure out where the hell it was going because it wouldn't leave a puddle anywhere and it would take a few days for the low coolant light to come on. Turns out after I pulled the motor that it had a bum gasket between the waterpump and timing chain.. coolant was leaking onto the cross member and when i would drive it the coolant would get blown away.

-1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 351W
-1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:06 AM

*stares at 1080's avatar*

Huh? what?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 12:37 AM

losing coolant look for;
1. rusted freeze out plugs
2. leaking radiator end cap gaskets
3. leaking heater core
4. hoses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in