&*%$#!%!!!!! (sending unit gripes) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

&*%$#!%!!!!! (sending unit gripes)

I hate, with a sincere passion, anyone responsible for the location of the oil pressure sending unit on a 3.8 thunderbird. I just spent 2 hours out there with the friggin' thing, and I barely got anywhere. My 2 options now are either yank off the metal tube that goes from the radiator hose to the engine (and take another trip to napa for a gasket, or remove my whole serpentine belt to take off the idler assembly. That's the only possible way I see to get at that little bastard. I am so pissed off right now. Especially since I went into it with the notion that it was a 15-minute job...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:55 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
well same thing happened to me dude, its a B*#ch to get too, i was able to get somewhere by the bottom of the car, i stuck my arm thru the bottom of my car and was able to set the sensor inplace and screw it in with my hand just enough to get it on, to be able to tighten it. To get to that sensor you really need to get the power steering pulley and the assembly that goes with two screws on the water pump, its a pain in the A$$, ford was really smart on that one.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.

Last edited by CamellionCat; 12-24-2002 at 08:26 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 11:51 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
With some muscle, the serpentine belt is pretty easy to remove. Stand on the passenger side of your T-Bird and put your left hand on the top part of the serpentine belt right after the AC compressor. With your right hand, clutch the tensioner pulley. Push down (hard) with your left while turning the pulley with your right. It's a slow to move, but it will loosen enoungh for you to hold it down with your left and slip the belt off of the alternator pulley with your right hand. After that it's cake.

Hope that helps a bit.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 12:08 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to CamellionCat
pj we are talking about the power steering pulley, dont you need a tool to remove it, since that damn bracket is in the way, to get to the oil sending unit.

Marvin M.

95- Cougar- SOLD (in loving memory)
Mods-17x9 cobra r's,H&R springs,KYB shocks & struts,removed air silencer,9"K&N cone,gutted cats,dual glasspack setup,cooling fan switch, B&M 24,000 tranny cooler.

Back in the game!!!
97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC-opal opalescent with black interior, upgraded with a 98 tranny, 18x9 black saleen speedstars, LMS dual tip mufflers, 5% tints all around.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 01:10 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
Oh, yeah... you need a puller for the pulley. Zero just made it sound like he didn't want to take the belt off.

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Well, it hadn't occured to my to take any of the pulleys off... I was just gonna remove the belt so I could yank the whole idler assembly. My point of attack is from the top. I still gotta figure something out for once I can get at it, though... I was thinking about taking a dremel to the top post so I could get a socket around it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in