diagnose this noise - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
diagnose this noise

started up my bird this morning and i hear a low pitched chirping noise. i pop the hood with the engine running and a/c on, and im thinking the bearing/bearings on one of the pullies is going out. so i shut it off and the noise continues for another second or two. i suspect the fan motor is the culprit, as the fan keeps spinning after the engine is killed. again i fire it up, and shut it off, same thing.

has anyone experienced something like this?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:20 AM

Yup, my brother's bird did the same thing and it was the fan. Since it continued after the engine was off that pretty much rules out any pullies. Try spinning the fan by hand when the engine is off and see if it makes noise.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
it's the fan. mine did the same and i left it in for a while and it nearly caught on fire. i'd suggest replacing it asap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

i thought it was the fan. this is the SECOND time my fan has acted up on me this year. had to replace it once cuz the motor seized up the first time, and now this. luckily, i had a spare fan. now, here we go again. time for a new motor. dammit

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

ok, i supposedly ordered a new radiator fan motor, and i went to pick it up today and the motor looks different. even the connector is a 2 prong piece as opposed to the 3 prong one on the factory harness. the box even said "blower motor", so i figured its for the a/c blower, which isnt what i need. does this sound right with it having a different connector?

i also did a little searching and found that the ircm's are prone to fail. can a bad ircm cause motors to lock up?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike View Post
i thought it was the fan. this is the SECOND time my fan has acted up on me this year. had to replace it once cuz the motor seized up the first time, and now this. luckily, i had a spare fan. now, here we go again. time for a new motor. dammit

Quit shopping at the junkyard dagnabbit!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike View Post
ok, i supposedly ordered a new radiator fan motor, and i went to pick it up today and the motor looks different. even the connector is a 2 prong piece as opposed to the 3 prong one on the factory harness. the box even said "blower motor", so i figured its for the a/c blower, which isnt what i need. does this sound right with it having a different connector?

i also did a little searching and found that the ircm's are prone to fail. can a bad ircm cause motors to lock up?
No if it's the right motor it will be the same connector. Or it will at least come with a pigtail to adapt it but nonetheless it has to have 3 connections as it is a 2 speed motor. I think you are right they gave you a blower motor.

And a faulty IRCM probably wouldn't cause the fan to fail. If the IRCM failed and got stuck on or something, the fan would run all the time. An overvoltage problem or something of the sort would be caused by the charging system.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
Quit shopping at the junkyard dagnabbit!
dagnabbit? sounds like a word my grandfather uses

chris, it turns out it actually was a blower motor. so for chits and giggles i went to autozone (initially i was at o'reilly's) to order one. i thought
maybe they would have a picture of the right one. lucky for me, they had a fan motor in stock. i bought it, installed it, works great, and mike is happy.

and get this. the box for the fan motor does say radiator fan motor, but it and the box for the blower motor have the damn part number and manufacturer. weirdness.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in