Shudders when I stop - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ECU_Q
Shudders when I stop

Ok so I dont get it, she is nice on the highway and nice once I get rolling. However once start to slow down to a complete stop I get a slight shudder and the rpms drop, I also hear a clunking. After I stop then she idles normally. It does it when I accelerate, only like maybe a quick shudder then its done. I'm thinking it could be the motor mount, the car has 171000 on it and those haven't been changed.

UPDATE: I just drove the car and now I'm thinking its the transmission. When it reaches around 2500 rpm I hear a whining noise until it shifts again. Also on flat ground I can put the car in drive and it just won't move. I have to give it gas and it kind of shudders before it gets going again.

Please help, if I find out the transmission is gone then I'm selling this car.

Last edited by ECU_Q; 06-16-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
I think you should do a transmission flush and fill. It sounds like you've got a torque converter issue.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:37 PM

Does the car pull to one side?

If it weren't for the part that it does it while you accelerate, I'd say it were 100% a warped rotor. Of course, if warped badly enough a rotor could still be the culprit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 07:08 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I agree with Josh. I think it's time for a Transmission flush and fill. Does it tend to shudder if you let your foot of the gas doing about 30 mph, and just letting the car coast? My '94 had issues with this, and I was told that there was something called Tourqe Converter shudder that is common with the 4 speed transmission in my car. I talked to the dealer about this, and they gave me two options: change the torque converter or try changing to Mercon V transmission fluid. They told me that in 80% of cases, the Mercon V fluid would clear up this issue. I had the them do the fluid change and all of my transmission issues dissapeared though. I think it's a reasonable thing for you to try. Just so you know though, here in Canada, Mercon V sells for $6.00 a quart here though through the dealer; almost 3X the price of regular Dextron. I don't know if this stuff is available aftermarket or not.

94 T-Bird LX
3.8 V6 - Bone Stock! (Bye darlin' I'll miss ya!)
93 Mercury Sable
03 Mercury Marauder
88 F-150 XLT Lariat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in