P0340 code need help on 97 t-bird v6 3.8L engine - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

P0340 code need help on 97 t-bird v6 3.8L engine

Hello and thanks for reading my post,
I live in Texas and now an emissions test is now part of the process to renew your inspection sticker. According to the inspector if your check engine light is on for any reason, the test is an automatic fail. Well my check engine was light for the following codes:

P0340 - camshaft position sensor a bank 1 circuit malfunction
P0131 - o2 sensor circuit low volts (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0133 - o2 sensor ckt slow response (bank 1 sensor 1)
P1131 - insuff. switching control valve sensor / lean
P0171 - system too lean.

Not having replaced the o2 sensors ever I started there. (I know, I know I've been slacking but this car has been really good to me with no problems whatso ever since I purched in 97.)
I've done three of the four (ouch that hurt my wallet $$, why couldn't it just be two sensors) I still need to replace one as the o2 sensor i was given at an auto parts store did not fit. The cord was too short. I believe the one I still need to replaced is located on the passenger side in front of the catalytic converter.

first question, IS THIS THE BANK 1 SENSOR? After replacing that one I'm hoping it will clear up all or some of these codes.

Second question is regarding the p0340 code. First, where is the sensor located on the 97 3.8L engine? Will replacing the sensor more than likely fix the problem?

Any help / suggestions on these codes are greatly appreciated as I gotta get the inspection passed on this vehicle.

FYI, the car is running even with all these codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
the po340 is the first thing id fix i just had a 97 here in the shop throwinging the o2 codes also i swapped the cam sensor and the others didnt come back not saying that yours will to but id fix th cam sensor and lear codes you may only eed the cam sensor but u may need the dummy distributer shaft which has the ring that runs thru the sensor and when the sensor breaks some time the metal ring will get all bent up therefore u have to replace the shaft alsoand make sure u mark the old one to line it up properly cause this is what times the fuel injectors there is a special tool but if u mark it and put the new one in just like the old one it will be fine

Robert

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'ôs ported manifolds
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:35 PM

Looks like grammar and punctuation are soooo yesterday.

The Bank 1 Sensor 1 IS the passenger side forward sensor (before the cat). I would definitely suspect that sensor has run its life span. Replacing the sensor will most likely get rid of the P0171 code as well as P0131/3.

As for P0340, I'd start by replacing the cam sensor. If you look under the coil, you will see a round black sensor with 3 wires going to it. That's the cam sensor. It's very easy to replace. Just remove the coil and there are 2 small bolts holding the cam sensor on. It's only like $15 or $20 bucks and I have a working one if you need it.

So replace the cam sensor, replace that oxygen sensor, clean the MAF (read the tech articles) and reset the computer (search) and you will be good to go.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses Chris and Robert.

My next few questions might seem stupid for a seasoned mechanic like yourselves but again it reflects my level of automotive diagnostic / repair. As far as my level I can do simple things like change out an alternator / change plugs, simple maintenance. So please excuse the questions.

when you say coil are you referencing to where the spark plug wires are connected to (box) or which coil?

After reading your response I took a peak under what I think is "the coil" and I see a sensor under it. From looking at it I think I need to remove "the coil" so that I can have access to the cam shaft sensor (if this is the sensor I'm looking for). The "coil" is held up by a bracket that extends about 8 inches below it held by two screws. Am I going the right direction?

Thanks for the help again,
Alanis
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Yes the coil is where the spark plug wires are connected to. You don't have to remove the coil bracket. There are 4 bolts around the perimiter of the coil holding it down to the bracket. Undo those, take off the wires, disconnect the coil plug and remove it. Then you can do the sensor.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Chris. I'll let you know how it goes.

alanis
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

thanks Chris.

Did all that with no problem and those codes have been fixed. I did have a new one, p0420. gotta look into that one. Need help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in