New car, has issues. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

New car, has issues.

I bought a 93 3.8 bird a week and a half ago. Everything worked fine on the car and the volt gauge sat at the "M" in NORM. After a few days it worked its way down to sitting at the "N" and a little below. The other day the car died while heading home at night, and had to have a friend give me a jump. Got about 4 miles before it died again and needed another jump. Since the gauge has read around the "N" my turn signal,rear defrost, and A/C controls dont work.

Thought for sure it was the alternator since it didnt seem to charge at all. Replaced the alternator two days ago, after testing it in car and the battery tested fine, but the alternator was putting out low voltage. The volt gauge didnt move from the lower reading and my signals,defrost, and A/C still doesnt function. With the battery charger on the car the volts read higher on the gauge, but as soon as the cables are off it drops back down. I replaced both battery cables, and even swapped in my battery from my mustang.

Also had a volt meter on the car and with just the car running it was low 12's and with the lights on it was med 11's for volts.

What could be the issue, I have no idea and this is supposed to be my daily driver, but it is having more issues than my stang...I am getting really frustrated.

4.6 SOHC Auto,Zex 125 HP,BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator,90 mm Lightning MAF,Accel EDI Coil Packs,MSD 8.5mm Wires,Custom Cold Air Intake Box,"RichardM" Intake Tube,Inject Tech Chip 2 3/4 Exhaust from Headers Back,Magnaflow Mufflers,JBA Headers,180 T-Stat,Mark VIII Torque Converter,J-Mod,Kevlar Friction tes,Transmission Cooler,FRPP 3.73,Eibach 1.5" Lowering Springs,Tokiko Blue Shock/Struts MN12Performance Poly Front End Kit MN12Performance Poly IRS Kit, KVR Cross Drilled RotorsAluminum driveshaft,Bottle heater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
You got a bad alternator. Bring it back and get another one.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I got it tested today again, and it tested fine. I am really confused. Got it at Advance, should I hit another place like AutoZone to get it checked?

4.6 SOHC Auto,Zex 125 HP,BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator,90 mm Lightning MAF,Accel EDI Coil Packs,MSD 8.5mm Wires,Custom Cold Air Intake Box,"RichardM" Intake Tube,Inject Tech Chip 2 3/4 Exhaust from Headers Back,Magnaflow Mufflers,JBA Headers,180 T-Stat,Mark VIII Torque Converter,J-Mod,Kevlar Friction tes,Transmission Cooler,FRPP 3.73,Eibach 1.5" Lowering Springs,Tokiko Blue Shock/Struts MN12Performance Poly Front End Kit MN12Performance Poly IRS Kit, KVR Cross Drilled RotorsAluminum driveshaft,Bottle heater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Okay, so I went and got my alternator tested in car at Autozone. Said it tested fine, but showed an open circuit, and the only way to rule out the alternator was to test it on the stand. Did that today and it tested fine. So I am at a loss as to what the issue is. Maybe something in the wiring harness?

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
you have either a dead short somewhere, or a power leacher. how old is the battery?

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W - Part-out soon
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
look through all of your fuses, and relays check them all, if something is blown replace it and see if it happens again. This might help you narrow down the circuit so it doesn't take forever to fix. Check all your grounds, clean your ground points with some sand paper, these are some places to start with , electrical shorts are a ***** to trace down sometimes.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Battery is less than a year old. Fusible links leading to the starter solenoid looked good. Does the alternator have a fuse that may have popped? Only one under hood I saw that would be big enough looked fine. was an 80amp in the fuse box.

Edit: Car can sit for a few days and have enough power to start. seems to have a big issue when my lights are on. Volt gauge sits low though even during the day. Doubt I am getting a charge.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
take the alt back and tell them you want a different one. try doing the big 3 and see if you have bad alt wires

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Could be the frustration and lack of sleep, but big 3? Alt, batt, and ?.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
go to the tech articles and look for the one for the "big 3". all it is is that you run bigger wires from your alt to the battery, and from the battery to the engine and the body. hence the name. simple to do.

take at least 4ga wire from hot post on alt. to the pos. side of the battery.
also run one from the neg. post of the battery to the engine. (i used the top bolt for the alt.)
last, run one from the neg. battery post to a good spot on the body. be sure to sand the paint first.

this is only a suggestion. i don't know if it will fix your problem, but if your alt wires are bad it will work.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Car is fixed. Went back to Advance Auto this morning, and tried to exchange it. They took it, and when they tested it they grounded it on the case, despite my pointing where it says "Ground here to test". Tested it and said it was fine, but it would have failed if it were done right. Then the guy proceeds to tell me its fine so he wont do anything. At this point I am pretty pissed. I leave and get a voltage regulator from Checker. Box was kind of beaten up and I could tell it had been mounted before. Swapped it in and made zero difference.

I called another Advance at this point because I am mad, and I know this is the issue. Spoke to the manager of another one and went down. She was cool as hell and exchanged it for me with zero hassle. Told me if I had any issues at all to let her know and she would take care of me. Got back, threw it in and the volt gauge spiked right up to about 15volts, and it is running great.

I used to really like that Advance, and go there for everything since they opened about a year ago near my house. Now after this, I am not sure I ever want to go back to that one again, and they were pretty good about getting me parts and the correct ones.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
sounds like a customer service issue. call the headquarters and complain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in