Wierdest Thing - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Wierdest Thing

Okay, so check this out... my parents bought a beater 94 3.8 Tbird and it doesnt run to well... My dads old school so to chech if it need a tune up he sprayed under the hood while the engine was running. Okay so for the wierd part, It made it run smooth and evern made the check engine light go off. Another crazy thing is fan only works when it not plugged in... And when its not plugged in it wont stop. This car is just Crazy. Anybody ever have anything of this sort happen before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
so when the fan gets no power it'll run all day, and when it has power it won't run??

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W - Part-out soon

Last edited by Rodeo Joe; 09-25-2007 at 08:09 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yeah... I meant to say when the tstat isnt plugged in the fan will work..... when the tstat is plugged in it won't...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnockin5.0 View Post
Yeah... I meant to say when the tstat isnt plugged in the fan will work..... when the tstat is plugged in it won't...
You are incorrect in what you are saying. The thermostat is inline with the upper radiator hose. It has no wires attached to it. What you are referring to is the coolant temp sensor, and the fact that the fan turns on when you unplug the sensor is a good thing. That is supposed to happen as it is a fail-safe for the PCM when it no longer knows what temperature the coolant is.

If the car runs like crap, there are a couple things I would do first. Start with new plugs and wires. Change the PCV valve, oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, and vacuum lines. Then clean the MAF sensor and reset the computer. With these steps (which aren't too expensive) you will have covered all the bases. Make sure you verify the timing is right too unless it doesn't have a distributor.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Don't forget the SeaFoam!

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 PM
The Parts Guy

It sounds like his dad sprayed carb cleaner (or something of that nature) to check for vacuum leaks, and apparently found at least one (when the idle smoothed out). I'd start with fixing said vacuum leak(s) first.

-Rod

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

No he sprayed it with the hose... Its an old school way to check for bad spark plug wires... And you are absolutely correct... I did mean the coolant temp sensor sorry for my ignorence... Well anyways thanks for the info I didnt know that it was a safety effort to keep the engine cool. And BTW the first thing I did was clean the MAF... made it run 30% better.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
PostWhore

Maybe you have some a bad electrical ground and the water provided an alternate path. I think there are ground straps from the lower right and left of the engine block that go to the frame rails on each side. You should make sure they are clean, bright, and tight. (With battery disconnected first.) There may also be one on the back of the driver's side head. The battery cables are probably worth replacing too, but they are kind of a pain to do. You can run new ones without removing the old ones entirely, though.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Hey wow thanks... I will give that a shot! Thanks alot! Ill let you know how it goes.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Trunk Monkey works for SeaFoam,...........unnofficially!
good luck w/ the beater man, I'm with S Mazza, and I do electronics for a living & sounds like a short somewhere. And unfortunately when you get it from someone and don't know the history, anything is possible. Good Luck

Last edited by mn12v6x2; 09-14-2007 at 09:35 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Well hey everyone thanks for your help.... unfortunately before I could check into anything the car lost the bottom hose and blew a head gasket. For having a blown head gasket thing still runs strong if it wasnt for the cooant in the oil I wouldve guess it was an intake gasket!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 11:00 AM
PostWhore

Weird. Well, good luck!

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in