losing oil pressure - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
losing oil pressure

I find that after the car heats up or has been on the highway that when I come to a stop the oil pressure gauge drops with the rpms and the check gauge light comes on. It doesn't do it if I take the car out of gear .i.e coming to a stop put it in neutral and it stays fine and the rpms don't drop. Same thing when I put it in park it goes back up. Anyone know the cause of this? I think maybe it is vacuum or trans related but any help on this subject would be great.

p.s. when the car is cool or hadn't been on the highway it is just fine. could this be my oil filter maybe? I do not want to start guessing and throwing money at it that I don't have. oh and it doesn't die just drops to red line and the light comes on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Are you full on oil? It could be the oil filter. What brand are you using?

I've also learned to not trust the stock oil "guage", which is no more than an idiot light with a needle. It will register pressure down to 7psi IIRC. Could also be the oil pressure sending unit.

If you are afraid you are actually loosing oil pressure, I would get a true mechanical gauge on it and see for sure.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

could to much oil cause this kind of problem? I checked the oil level and it was a little low a few weeks ago, I put in a quart and now its reading over the full level on the dipstick with the car at normal operating temps, on level ground.( There is no coolant in the oil)and my coolant level hasnt dropped etheir).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Being slightly overfull won't cause you to lose oil pressure. One thing to try would be replace the oil pressure sender. They are known to go bad and make the gauge read low sometimes. If you aren't hearing any noises from your engine, then most likely the oil pressure is actually fine and the problem is just the sender, so its a cheap and easy thing to replace to know for sure before you replace the oil pump or get into major engine work.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ok so I havent gotten to check the sender yet, how would I do that? Also I noticed when the pressure gets low if I turn the wheel it drops further, Any link there? I also noticed what sounds like a chain slapping, like on a bike when I get on the gas, but only when im on it hard. I am fearing the timing chain but the car only has 75k on it. Would a timing chain cause a problem with oil pressure?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

changed the oil today, and it hasnt happened yet so it may have been a bum filter.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 04:27 AM

With my bird I can almost tell when it needs an oil change by that guage. When It starts going low and the check engine light comes on, time to change the oil. I'm only talking every 3000miles. I had to start 10W30 in it also since the engine is so wore.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 07:50 PM
PostWhore

What you could do is convert the gauge to read true readings. There's a good write up on it in the technical articles.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Poster

hey just curious guys my oil pressure just went low on mine saw the check gauges light as well.Car runs smooth as a top oild is full no anitfreeze in the oil.Possible it's just the sending unit or do oil pumps go bad in thease cars? this i my first thinderbird and ford for that matter so i am lost. I have a 1994 lx 3.8 v6 non supercharged any ideas would be great thanks again.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 01:48 AM

If the oil pump went you would be here telling us about how the engine made a lot of strange noises and runs like crap. It's the sending unit or wiring. They go bad all the time.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Poster

yeah I agree with yolu on that started the car up this morning and it had perfect oil pressure so sending unit will be going in tommmorrow thanks for the response.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I got an oil change, and it acted normal then, after about 3 weeks it started being retarded again so I checked the oil and the dipstick was bone dry( i have a small leak) so im guessing they didnt fill it up all the way when I got the change done. I put in a 32oz of lucas and its been perfect ever since.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Poster

Talking

replaced the oil sending unit and perfect pressure thank god LOL thanks for the help now onto a new issue
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 01:53 PM

oil sending unit

is it best to go to ford for a replacement or are the local auto parts store varieties good to use?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 01:59 PM

oil sending unit

is it best to go to ford for a replacement or are the local auto parts store varieties good to use?
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 AM

For this piece aftermarket is fine.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in