Coolant is disappearing! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Coolant is disappearing!

My friends 3.8 Windstar is losing coolant, but it is not external. No apparent leaks under the frame or around the hoses. None leaking behind the firewall. Coolant is just vanishing in thin air! It has been fine for about 2 weeks and all of a sudden this issue came back. Anyone have any clues. There are no apparent signs of HG failure either. Oil isn't milky. The van has been starting up roughly though. But no smoke out the back, or even steam coming out the rad when the engine overheats. I'm completely stumped, and these are good hard-working people with no funds for a major fix. If anyyone has had this issue of mysterious coolant dissapearing, please let me know the outcome of your situation. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 10:51 AM
13's or Mildly Broken

To me, it sounds like the headgasket monster is about to pop up. If they can do it, take a weekend and tear it down to replace 'em before they pop and do damage.

-Melon

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Is it possible for headgaskets to begin failing w/ no apparent signs at all? I mean, could there be any other explanation, or place that the coolant is leaking into. I think the coolant is in fact leaking somewhere in the block, b/c there isn't any outside. Is the HG the only barrier in the block that keeps coolant from entering it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
def. HGs. my t-bird was loosing coolant for about a week or so before they went. had me confused as hell. i'm 99% sure.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W - Part-out soon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 AM
5th Gear Poster

Is there any smell of coolant. I had the same problem with my windstar. The dealer said it was a small leak around the thermostat supposedly they fixed it. About a year later it happened again. This time i had the water pump replaced and the hoses, then it happened again so i figured it was the gasket from the front cover behind the water pump so i added bars stop leak and haven't had a problem since. See if that is the problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:32 AM
5th Gear Poster

Pull the plugs on a cold engine. If one is real clean, thats the cylinder the antifreeze is leaking into. Front or back of each head is where they leak into the cylinder. You could have it sniffer tested also.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:46 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by tino View Post
Is there any smell of coolant. I had the same problem with my windstar. The dealer said it was a small leak around the thermostat supposedly they fixed it. About a year later it happened again. This time i had the water pump replaced and the hoses, then it happened again so i figured it was the gasket from the front cover behind the water pump so i added bars stop leak and haven't had a problem since. See if that is the problem.
I just did the heads (and they were previously ground with a grinder or something like that) cause I had all the symptoms of blown heads. I am still loosing some fluid but I think it is the pump, or the radiator. I think it is more on the radiator side because the tranny is getting to warm and the fan runs a lot. Time for a new rad and tranny cooler!

BTW: I did the hoses and t-stat first and pumps will go out all at once, not gradully, so I am told.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in