rough idle upon start up - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation rough idle upon start up

well i finally got all of the coolant and headgasket nightmares behind me and got her back on the road. Now when I start it up she idles rough and acts like it wants to stall out. After she warms up she runs fine untill you have to stop at a light or somewhere and she can idle for about 30 seconds or more, then the idle drops down like it wants to stall out. Could it be because I have no idea where the vacuum line coming of the egr goes or what else could cause it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:56 PM

The vacuum lines for the EGR should go like this: On the back of the upper intake manifold there should be a line going to the EGR Vacuum Regulator. This is a solenoid with two ports that looks like this

From there the unoccupied port will have a vacuum line to the EGR valve. If there is no vacuum line at the back of the intake and it's just sucking in air, you have a huge vacuum leak and this could definitely explain the problem you are having. You should check that as well as all the other lines to make sure you have no leaks. An easy way is to spray carb cleaner while the engine is idling where fittings and such are and see if the idle changes.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

guess i should have added it is a 93 3.8 if that matters any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 01:41 AM

The information I provided applies to that equally as well as a 95 3.8L

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

alright, i checked it out tonight and i found one line coming off the back of the upper going to a silver round part. Then I got looking at the back of the upper a little closer and I found a hole like another nipple was there and it got broken off and sure enough it is sucking air in. Also I dont have the part that you showed the picture of. I got thinking I would just throw my old (off the 95 motor) upper on and I got looking at it and it only has one nipple. Why would the 93 have to? Looks like I am going to be making a trip to the junk yard.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

alright I got the vac. reg. now I have encountered yet another problem. I can find no plug to plug into the regulator. I saved the old plug that came with the reg. if anyone can tell me where it sound be wired to. Also it wouldnt make any difference if the donor car and mine have a/c or not would it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 01:57 PM

Since I don't have an older 3.8L, I can't tell you where the plug is supposed to be. But it won't matter if the two cars differed in their A/C option. All that matters is that both had EGR.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

thats what i figured. I looked at a 93 that came into work today and its plug was near the plug for the main wire harness. I searched mine when I got home and cant find any. Also on the one at work the vac. line that came from the reg. went to the vac. "tree" however there are no open ports on mine. I have a port that is labeled "a.c." and it has a line coming off of it going inside the cabin and the bigger rubber hose going to the intake and there is one on the other side there is a line that goes....well i cant remember now but it is hooked up and then one nipple that is capped off. Thank for all the help so far and for being so patient while I try and resolve this last headache. If anyone can tell me how to post a picture i was reviewing some pics i took before i ripped the old motor out and i noticed it looks like the vac. lines go somewhere different.

Last edited by bubbaking; 11-10-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in