Coolant Problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Coolant Problem

Ive been having a problem with keeping coolant in my car. Ill add some more coolant and in a couple of days the low coolant light will come on again. Ive checked for leaks on the outside of the engine and the readiator and havent found any leaks. I was just wondering if i was buring it all because of an internal leak or what else could be happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
check your oil, if its milky you have problems

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

coolant loss

.ditto....... take a 20min run somewhere, park car,put card board under car, run for a fewmins in park to check for leaks. if none check in a few hrs the coolant has to go somewhere on the ground, or inthe motor.. if doing this at night......let car run open hood.. check in y smell anti freeze....have a flashlight handy to shine in motor and under neath could be a pinhole on 1 of ur coolant hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
this sounds like the notorious 3.8

check all hoses (rad/ heater) check your passenger floor for water (heater core failure) check behind the w/p (also the weep hole), check behind the timing cover, make sure the radiator has no leaks. also smell the exhaust, and if it smells sweet then it's probably HGs.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W - Part-out soon
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:39 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFD-E2 View Post
.ditto....... take a 20min run somewhere, park car,put card board under car, run for a fewmins in park to check for leaks. if none check in a few hrs the coolant has to go somewhere on the ground, or inthe motor.. if doing this at night......let car run open hood.. check in y smell anti freeze....have a flashlight handy to shine in motor and under neath could be a pinhole on 1 of ur coolant hoses.
This is the best way, if you spot coolant on the cardboard then its leaking if not then your Head Gasket is blown.

The milkly oil is not always gonna show up, i had my head gasket slowly go out on me. Coolant would disappear but the oil was still fine, but then one night i lost alot of acceleration and basically a cloud of smoke bellowed from the tail pipe!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 PM
PostWhore

Another sign of a head gasket going is the temp gage will fluctuate up & down.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to loudpipessavelives
ouch, hope its not the HG or you are about to hate all t birds

93 Bird/ Trick Flow 5.0-- awaiting some fresh paint
99 Marquis on 20's (daily)
01 Mustang Cobra with bolt on's-- 22k miles, might be for sale soon

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CDogg93
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 AM

Check exhaust while car is running. If it looks like steam and has a funky odor, it's probably the HGs. It's not really a bad job to replace them. Can be done in 8-10 hours over a weekend. Upper engine gasket kits are inexpensive.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:42 AM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Ok, like to throw another possibility that happened to me. I blew out my intake gasket and that was where my coolant was going. It wasn't as expensive as the HGs to fix, but now I have a full Ford gasket set for the heads on up that I won't be using.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 PM

I had the same problem last year and couldn't figure it out. I had no signs of head gasket failure. On the first hot day of the season with lots of stop and go driving the temp went way up so I took a look under the hood. Coolant gushing from a hole in the bottom of the upper radiator hose. It could be a leaky hose with a hole in a spot where you cannot see. Inspect the hoses very closely. Hopefully this will be the case... $15 and less than 30 minutes will fix this problem.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Another sign of a head gasket going is the temp gage will fluctuate up & down.
How quickly? My temp gauge has a nice range to it. Maybe 3/4 up to 1/2 up when warm.

I am also losing coolant slowly. I am not too worried about it since I think I smell antifreeze in the engine compartment. I never see any on the ground though. This weekend I am going to take a real hard look at all the hoses and stuff.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:06 AM
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

richuncle,

Be sure to look very closely at your intakes. I had one coolant hose connection corrode a bit. It had to be emoryboarded and the hose clamp tighted to stop that leak, but then soon after my intake gasket let loose.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in