Water pump frozen bolt stud - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Water pump frozen bolt stud

What's a good way to get a bolt out that the head sheered off while I was trying to get remove it??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Soak the remaining bolt w/ PB Blaster and then go at it w/ a bolt out. You may also try getting a vice-grip or something on it and try to work it back and forth, like screw it in a bit, then try backing out. Worst case you could try some heat on it as well.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77 View Post
Soak the remaining bolt w/ PB Blaster and then go at it w/ a bolt out. You may also try getting a vice-grip or something on it and try to work it back and forth, like screw it in a bit, then try backing out. Worst case you could try some heat on it as well.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I've got the PB Blaster soaking on it now (been for about 4 hours now). I go out every so often and give the bolt stud a squirt. I will try the vise grips tomorrow. Heat is kinda scary in this area. It is so close to the intake and there is grease on the block. I would have to be careful, but it's worth a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I finally got it out after hours of pounding, heating and spraying it with PB....

I used a hammer, propane torch, PB Blaster and Vise Grips and a lot of elbow grease. As you can see, there are no threads left where I was using the Vise Grips on the stud. I had to lock the grips down as hard as I could with both hands but once I heard that sweet cracking sound, I knew I was on my way to getting it out. Then it was a matter of rocking it back and forth, release the grip and start from the bottom again, rock some more, apply the hammer, PB and then heat. It took about 30 minutes to un-thread the thing, mainly because there was such little room. I even had to remove the alternator/power steering brace to get a better grip. Between the stud on the bottom and return heater line mount that was in my way, it was a bear. Needless to say, the stud took some aluminum with it on the way out. Last thing was tap out the threaded area and find an identical bolt to go with it. I found a bolt that was the same tensile strenght (9.8) and head size (10mm). Lucky, lucky. Goes to show that you should grab all the bolts and nuts you can when you visit the yard...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Good deal. Glad to see it didn't decide to twist off again halfway out. I've had that happen as well.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77 View Post
Good deal. Glad to see it didn't decide to twist off again halfway out. I've had that happen as well.

Jay
I kept expecting it to. Yes, I was real lucky. Thanks again Jay for the tips.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Isn't she a beauty?

Last edited by white lincoln; 02-20-2008 at 10:45 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
3rd Gear Poster

lincoln i almost didn't realize it was you because your avatar was different.

you are putting a lot of work into this thing lately. Head gaskets, broken dip stick tube, transmission, water pump. what's next?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richuncle View Post
lincoln i almost didn't realize it was you because your avatar was different.

you are putting a lot of work into this thing lately. Head gaskets, broken dip stick tube, transmission, water pump. what's next?

I just finished installing the tranny cooler today. If it runs after all this work and runs good, I'm getting a new windshield! Also, the wife wants the front bumper painted where some a-hole backed into the car in a van and just drove off. Luckily a nice lady saw it and left a message on my window of the license number and all - I couldn't do anything anyway, the jerk had no insurance. Oh, I wanted to do something and the wife said "easy skippy, let it go... he'll get his..."

Oh, I take it in this week for some new BF- Goodrich tires.

...did I mention I did the brakes too?

Thanks for asking rich.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in