A/C dosn't work - any ideas? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
A/C dosn't work - any ideas?

So, I finished the J-Mod, tranny cooler, water pump and now the A/C compressor does not come on. When I put the temp control to A/C, the engine RPM's go up, fan comes on, vents change over and everything but the compressor. When it did go on, you heard it click on and the engine would drop a little due to the power consumption from the compressor. Not now, everything else goes on but the compressor it seems.

Anyone have this happen before? Fuse, wire, something go bad? Yes, it worked before, I am just not sure where to start. The service book is not a lot of help (or I can't read!).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
dude i am still having the same problem and its pissing me off check your ccrm for power out to the clutch it should be a black and yellow wire. also check your low pressure switch for power.

the reason i say this is because i blew my ccrm and i also replaced the dead relay for the A/C and the car blew it again so now im stumped but i may need a new clutch. but check for the obvious like fuses.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

AHHH! Don't say NEW CLUTCH!

Thanks man for the info, I will check the lines and fuses to see if anything is blown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:44 AM

New clutch is easy, but start simple. Check the #4 fuse inside the car first. If that's ok, then I would remove the connector to the switch on the A/C accumulator and jump the wires together. If the clutch comes on, then the switch is bad on the accumulator. If it doesn't work, keep it jumped and check power to the clutch. If you don't have power to the clutch, then it would be either the CCRM or the pressure cut-off switch.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Clutch may be easy but EXPENSIVE!

Is this the switch you're talking about? Is it the high pressure switch?

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him. I read about the high pressure cut-off switch in the service manual. But I thought that would only kick in if the pressure was too hi in the system?

I'll let you know tonight what I find out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 05:31 PM

A clutch can be had for less than $100, which is small in comparison to most A/C expenditures. The sensor in that picture is the low-pressure sensor, also known as the A/C clutch cycling switch. The high-pressure cut-off switch is located on the line coming from the A/C compressor to the condensor and has 4 wires going to it. The switch opens when the pressure is too high and thus shuts off the clutch, but if the switch goes bad it can be open when the pressure is not too high and will prevent the clutch from coming on when it is supposed to.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
but does anybody know why i would blew a brandnew CCRM from ford and only blow up the A/C clutch relay??? this has happened twice
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik97bird View Post
but does anybody know why i would blew a brandnew CCRM from ford and only blow up the A/C clutch relay??? this has happened twice
Electrical Short? Bad compressor pulling too many amps (but the fuse is supposed to pop at the point?) and killing the system.

Reading the service book (not the CD) it says that a A/C cycling switch can open if the temp is below 50F.

Well guys, I found out what it was. After checking the A/C cycling switch, relay switch #4, checked the connection at the compressor, and sure enough, I knocked it loose (since the lock clip broke off before I both the car). Anyway, I pushed it in and went for a test drive. I have cold A/C again! Yah!

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in