Temperature sensor question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Temperature sensor question

Is the sensor that runs the temperature gauge on the instrument cluster the same sensor that determines when the electric cooling fan comes on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to fl96thunderbird
No, its just for the gauge. The ecc has its own temp sender unit to determine when the fan kicks on.

SOLD the 96 in favor of a 97 ABS, TC, Sunroof
OEM E46 Bi-Xenon D3S

XBox 360 gamertag: POPIMP96
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that was a really quick response, thank you. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Looks like I'm going to have to change that sensor then, because my temp gauge doesn't register anything. I'm just glad it won't effect the cooling fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:00 AM
6th Gear Poster

And the gauge sensor is easier to get to!

1993 LX 5.0
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

That's good that its easer to get to, lol. Where is it? Also, a related question, I don't think its my sensor, I think its actually my thermostat that is stuck open. The problem is this: I was in a slight wreck that dented in my hood, enough that I can't open it and then get it back closed. I have a 5 and a half hour trip home from school for spring break (and of course the same amount of time back), and I know that engine wear is increased when you run it and its not up to normal operating temp. How much damage would I do to my car driving it for that distance (roughly 320 miles one-way) with a stuck-open thermostat. Would it be advisable to not drive it?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:12 PM

The temp sender for the gauge is located in the coolant tree on the right side of the intake manifold (looking from the front of the car), the same tree that has a hose going from it to the metal pipe coming out of the water pump. It has a single wire going to it. To test the gauge, unplug this wire and ground it with the key ON. It should go all the way to HOT. If it doesn't there is a problem with the wiring or the gauge.

You wouldn't cause any damage to the engine in that trip. If the thermostat was indeed stuck open, the worst that would probably happen is bad fuel economy because the car is stuck in open loop and will be continuously running in fuel enrichment mode to try and warm up the car. I wouldn't keep driving the car like that as it will eventually take it's toll, but check the upper hose to see if it's warm before going into anything. If it is, the thermostat is probably ok and the sender is just bad.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the helpful answer, Chris. I hope my gas mileage doesn't suffer too badly. It usually takes me about 5/8 to 3/4 of a tank to make that trip. I hope I can make it home on one tank of gas, lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Changed the thermostat, and she is back to normal. Yay!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in