Splitport Swap Cam Choice? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Splitport Swap Cam Choice?

Best cam to use for a splitport swap?

I'm using F-150 heads, 2000 Mustang upper and lower intakes. I figure since I'm that deep into the engine, this would be the time to change the cam.

I've been told I'll need to chip the car since I'll need more air for the splitport, and the injectors will be bigger. OEM on the single ports were 14 pounders. OEM on the splitports were 19 pounders. I've been told to go to 24 pounders, but SC 30 pounders are more plentiful.

This all reinforces the need for a chip or flasher, but the cam will be an issue. I hate the stock cam. I seem to have no power between 2K and 3-3.5K RPM. Actually, it seems the OEM cam is designed to put the power band at idle to 1750 or so.

The motor will stay N/A, and I don't have the intake thingys to worry about. So what do your motor gurus think as far as cam specs for the cam to stick in here?

Cam choice will affect my decision on rockers and springs.

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to SplitPortBird
are you running IMRC valves?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

No, I'm using the Mustang 2000 upper and lower which don't have them or the problem of the IMRCs. Using them now makes it easier to add a turbo or SC later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Veteran Poster

In the first post you said your staying NA and in the last post you said its easier to add a turbo or SC later,, so which is it???

Also what rear gears are you running and are you using a stock converter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I'm staying N/A for now. It'll take me years to save money for a power and paying for getting it on the car. BUT...I have hopes. I believe in Santa Claus, too.

I'm running 3.27s with a t-lok in a 7.5, again for now. I have 3.55 gears waiting for a 8.8 and maybe a Detroit Locker or similar device.

I've got a little better than stock converter. I think it stalls at 2400. I smoked the OEM converter roasting GTPs at the track.

I am going with my minimums or as the car is now for figuring what cam to go with.

I have the intakes and heads for a splitport swap. I know I need a fuel rail, 30 lb injectors, a flasher (SCT XCAL2), gaskets, Mustang TB, and a cable, but I figured long as I'm that deep into the motor, why not put in a cam to make it all come to life.

Oh, I will be putting in a gear drive to replace the timing belt.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Veteran Poster

First off,, dont go any bigger then a 19lb injector,,, if your not porting the heads or intake you can even keep the 14lb injectors, but 19's are your best bet.. You dont need 30's and would be overkill and possibly cause your worse gase mileage/performance over the 19's..

OK so you have no IMRC's which means the engine will have NOOOO torque down low,, even with your 3.55's your gonna be disapointed,, throw a larger cam in the mix and your gonna cry foul.

I've driven em all because I've done it all in my 96' Ive had a 3.8L with a cam 207/215 with no IMRC's talk about a complete and utter dog... yes the car would pull hard up top once it got too 4500 to 6000K but I would still be sittin at the light getting smoked by other cars... these TBIRDS are heavy!! you need torque. do not take suggestions from most of these mustang guys,, there cars are lighter and most of em run manual transmissions,, there a whole different beast.

The cam that came stock in your 97??? is a better cam then even the splitport engines have and its designed for bottom end torque. I've ran all three 96' Cam, 99 Splitport 3.8L cam and 4.2L Splitport Cam,, with the 96' being the best of em all.

based on your setup or plans you shouldve run IMRC's.. its like getting 2 motors in 1 with them closed it gives a very nice torque curve down low and with em open it pulls like a mofo.

? is why dont you like the stock cam?? was it based on what the old engine did or something else?

Lastly,,, we have timing chains not timing belts and they dont sell gear drives for are cars. the tming chains are great and there no need to change the designed other then a new chain.

19lb injectors
IMRC Lower with a MSD window switch to actvate
SCT 2 (to change the timing and fuel a bit)
3.73's should be a minmum,, but 3.55's are good but keep that stock cam!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

I don't like the stock cam because I have NOTHING after 2000 RPM. I have all my power around 1700 or so. I run about 1500 for driving around town and 2K for the highway, but at the strip I got bupkis after 2000-2400. I just mark time until I shift for a little bit of scoot.

I'm not sure what the 97 stock cam is, but every F'ing part on this car is not what the book says it should be. I'm putting things in I know work and are better than the POS Ford put there in the first place.

Oh, on the timing gear set, I'll look it up and post them as there are 2 different set that are for the 3.8. The only negative I've heard is that they whine. So does a SC in boost.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Veteran Poster

what I'm saying though is what is the engine combo you have now before you do the splitport engine???
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Stock heads, cam, underdrives, and a slightly higher stall torque converter.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 11:54 PM
Veteran Poster

well I can tell yah one thing.. it wasnt the cam holding yah back it was that damn stock single port heads.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:24 AM

Just to back up splitportbird here, Ive done alot of searching on here and over on v6power.com on the splitport swap, and it seems everyone agrees that the better cam to go with the splitport setup is the stock singleport cam.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in