T-Stat Problem! Help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

T-Stat Problem! Help

Ok Friday pulled the bird into the garage to replace a Water pump that was leaking so i figured while i was down there id put a different T-stat on, i had a 180 on it but after reading the other post i decided to return to the stock one. Heres the problems//questions.

1. The guy at the Auto Parts place was a dip$#@!. This i know cant be handled

2. Not checking the parts until friday i find the T-stat is a 195degree and i believe the stock is 192 do i have to worry about this?

3. Question about t-stat placement, in what order do i want to put everything in the Manual says block, gasket, T-stat, then Upper Rad. housing thing(i put it on this way) is that the correct way or should i have block, t-stat, gasket, then Housing.

4. The guy gave me one of those horrible self seal blue plastic pieces of crap gaskets and after i told him i didnt want that he said he didnt have any other gaskets. Now assuming i didnt mess up on the placement #3, then these gaskets suck because im leaking from my T-stat area my Water pump is fine thank goodness.

Thanks
Kyle

PS
Never buy self sealing gaskets, RTV regular gaskets work so much better and you dont have the Rad Housing sticking out an extra 1/8 inch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:53 PM
PostWhore

I have a gasket around here for my from my 94 3.8 that i got from Ford. Still in plastic never used. $2 shipped if you want it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Naw man thanks but i really need to get the car running by monday, im just going to a different parts store where the employ isnt lazy and will look for the part i want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 PM

The order you put it on is correct. As for leaking, use gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket and make sure the t-stat is seated properly in the upper radiator hose housing, if not it can leak. The sealer will help the t-stat stay in place during installation.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Ya i really wanted to use sealer but in BIG WORDS it had Dont Us ANY sealer on this product so i didnt my fault there.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 PM

I guess your not suppose to use sealer with plastic gaskets. I used the regular type gasket, try another parts store and get the regular type.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Ya diff going to a different parts store, whats peoples opion on a 195 i know stangs have a 196 but our stock is 192 so i dont think it will make to much of a difference.

Just with that 180 it seemed that my car was getting hotter faster then normal specially in the florida heat i meen it popped early and cooled it off but after extended periods of driving i think overall it was worse.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear Poster

The ONLY reason i use auto zone is for the free $20 gift card after 4 purchases of $20 or more...

Try calling Central Auto parts on Aloma and Forsyth road.

They be edumacated there !!!

Your ego is writing checks your a$$ can't cash.
Installing a motor with some parts to go faster.
Oh yeah the engine is painted so that adds 15hp right there!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Ya man thats what i use it for too free money is great and most of the people there are decent but i just well got the lemon of the day. Plus all the parts ive been replacing have been cheaper. Ive been going to the one on the corner of Rouse and 50 (only one i know of). And ill just stop by the one you listed its only a small detour from on my way to work thanks man!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 AM

You'll be fine with the 195* t-stat.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in