Rough Idle In 91 Cougar - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Rough Idle In 91 Cougar

Hey guys, i'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not... first post :P

but i've got an issue with my 3.8. it has a rough idle when you pull up to a set of lights or a stop sign with the vehicle in gear. slip it into neutral and the engine is smooth as silk. Dad is a ford mechanic and he just did some basic tests like unplugging things and seeing if the idle changed. but the only thing he could come up with was a MAF issue. anyone have any input to give on this? his shop no longer has the equipment to connect to my cars computer as they've upgraded to the newer stuff, so it's pretty well guess and check on this one haha.

Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

What was the "MAF issue" they came up with?? Maybe try cleaning it and reset the ECM and see what that gets you.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

hey, thanks. yeah. i suggested that, but apparently you can't clean these sensors??? i think it's something about a coating on them that if you clean them it comes off and then they're no good or something? i donno what it's all about.

but what dad was telling me was that his best diagnosis is that the sensor isn't reading properly, and a remove and replace should fix the issue. so i guess that's what i'm gonna end up doing. i was just wondering if anyone here had the same issue and what they did to fix it.

Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 PM

You can definitely clean the MAF sensor. Just use electronics or MAF sensor cleaner and all will be fine. A harsh cleaner can potentially damage the sensing wires, but the right cleaner will do the job.

Since the rough idle occurs most noticeably with the engine under load, you might consider checking the plug wires and mounts. If those are bad, the effects are more noticeable when the engine is under load as opposed to just sitting at idle.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

thanks. i'll have a look at those when it comes out of storage... but for the time being, there is about 12 feet of snow keeping me from getting it out haha. perks of living in newfoundland i guess haha. do you think this could also cause lack of power at highway speeds? before i put it away last fall, the car was having a hard time passing traffic on the highway, and was slow to accelerate after being stopped at lights and stop signs. It had plenty of go, but you had to push the gas to the floor to get it to accelerate fast enough to pass traffic.

Stephen
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 AM

Definitely could be affecting it at highway speeds.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in