302 engine or 351 engine - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh Heilig
302 engine or 351 engine

would a mustang 302 engine fit in a 1990 3.8lx or even a 351. my car dont have enough power but i love it and dont want to sell it and get a v8 tbird. i just want to maybe drop something in it. thanx

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 35th Anniversary. True duel exhaust with x-pipe and stainless steel magna flows. Cold Air induction system.TintedWindows.Costum Black and silver painted Cobra Rs
1994 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe.[crushed]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 05:18 PM

The T-Bird came with a 5.0L as an option until 1993. If you want to put one in, it isn't that difficult. As far as a 351, that is another option. I seem to remember a guy that had a T-Bird or Cougar with a supercharged 351.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh Heilig
cost?

would i have to get all new wiring harnesses in and how much do you think a tbird 5.0 would run me. would it be better to get a brand new one or got to a wreck yard .but i think they would be hard to find. if i got that i would have to get a new rear end and drive shaft? thanx

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 35th Anniversary. True duel exhaust with x-pipe and stainless steel magna flows. Cold Air induction system.TintedWindows.Costum Black and silver painted Cobra Rs
1994 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe.[crushed]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 05:52 PM

Everything depends on cost, but if it was me, I'd just build a new one from scratch. Sure there are probably some good used engines out there, but why chance it? This way you can build up the motor how YOU want it and according to how much you want to spend. Plus, the 5.0 has a huge aftermarket, you can find something to fit your needs and budget. But bottom line is money.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 07:08 PM

What do YOU want?

The 351's and the 302's will all fit in your 'Bird but what do you want? Are you lookingfor a little more power or are you looking for a pavement-eating-drag-monster? There is a serious point to the bottom line being money.

I would encourage you to go for the 302. It has the most amount of mods available and 302 crates are availble from Ford or many other people. You can get one that still has AC I don't know where you are from but I Live in Las Vegas and AC is a MUST.

If you want a drag-monster go for the 351W get a supercharger and goto town. It will be one hell of a ride!

Thundercat
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2002, 07:33 PM
6th Gear Poster

When my engine blew the first time I considered the swaps that you are. But i came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper and easier to buy a 5.0. Unless you are really ambitious and want the 351, which were never put in an MN-12. But you have to ask yoursef the questions, do you have the knowlege to do this swap, the tools, another form of transportation while your car is under the knife, are you willing to deal with set backs such as electrical nightmares, and most importantly do you have the $$?
As you see, I stayed with my 3.8

1993 LX 5.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in