94 TBird v6 EGR Valve / Max AC issue - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

94 TBird v6 EGR Valve / Max AC issue

I have been having a few minor issues. One is basically I believe the t-body needs to be removed and sprayed down, it feels like the car has a lot of power being lost. When I accelerate it seems to take longer than it should. Specifically I think the EGR valve. Not sure how to test for this sort of thing but it seems that way based on stuff I was reading.

CEL popped on and off a few times while on the highway. When this happens and if it is on MAX AC the air seems to switch to exhaust? I heard this was a vacuum issue but don't see any vacuums that seem to be leaking. Could this be related to the EGR valve possibly?

Also. car idles rough for about 10 minutes or so which I believe goes back to the tbody with the EGR valve.

If you can point me in the direction to DIY with pics that would be great!

I have seen the EGR valve itself on autozone's site for example but I can not figure out where it is located.

I also think I need to replace the charcoal canistor (evap?), when it is on AC (not Max AC) I smell some gas in the car. Not sure where this is either.

I am not a mechanic by any means however I have replaced my starter in my 89 Celica and 87 MR2 and some motor mounts on my Celica as well.

If this is beyond me I very well may pay someone for these things, worst case what should I be looking at for a full engine/tbody decarb as well as the canistor?

Again thank you in advance for any replies! This forum seems VERY helpful in the realm of Tbird/Cougars

EDIT: Last thing, I was told that this model should have come with a belt driven fan (not electrical controlled) but there is what looks like a port for an electric fan and I could have SWORN I was told that the previous owners replaced the radiator and put a belt driven fan on there because that is all they could get ahold of which made me think it was switched out to a belt driven one. One would assume that Ford wouldn't have added mounting locations in for a belt driven and electric fan, since the belt driven will need to be tensioned since the belt runs over the Alternator, AC, etc.

Last edited by LVNeptune; 09-06-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Cleaning the throttle body will have practically no effect on the driveability or power.

First thing I'd do is get the codes read. Ground the STI input (the small single wire gray plug) on the self test plug under the hood, then turn the key ON and read the codes from the check engine light. More on that at fordfuelinjection.com.

Second, it sounds like your MAF sensor might be due for a cleaning (or replacement, first thing like I said is to get the codes read).

The only difference between Max A/C and normal A/C is that max a/c recirculates cabin air; regular a/c draws in fresh air from the cowl under the windshield wipers.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Is this a good guide to follow: http://www.berrysweb.com/clean_your_maf.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM
PostWhore

I have the same gas smell at times, same car basically.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136599

Yes you should have had an electric fan, not belt driven. The EVAP canister is inside the front passenger side wheel well. Check and/or replace the lines to it if you change the canister. It also has a purge solenoid on it that can malfunction. Yes, check for more codes, none of this should make it run badly.

MAF
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/intake/mafclean.html

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer

Last edited by BlueEyes; 09-06-2011 at 02:45 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Can you take a picture of your radiator fan and the belts and everything near it? What type of belt do I need? I want to swap this back to an electric fan. I swear this belt driven fan is causing the car to run hotter-than-normal since I don't think it can spin at full speed. Could be wrong though, who knows

@BlueEyes thanks for that, I saw someone refer to a cougar and didn't notice you actually had a similar car. Thanks for that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM
PostWhore

They probably made the swap because electric fans can be expensive and they probably had the stuff laying around to do the swap. I'll try to take some pics later but check out your radiator, hoses, see if you can get a part number off the belt if it's not too badly worn.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in