Keep getting lean codes - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Keep getting lean codes

Basic info: 1997 3.8 Thunderbird, 190,000 miles
I got this car a month or 2 ago. It's in good shape, especially considering the mileage, but it needs a lot of attention to little problems. It kept throwing codes for lean on both banks (don't remember the numbers), felt like it was choking out under harder acceleration, was down on power across the board, plus there was a weird chugging issue between 1500-2000 rpms that would vary in intensity. I changed out the air and fuel filters, cleaned the MAF (the wires were covered in a fine dust), put in new plugs (Motorcraft OE platinums) and wires (Borg Warner), and changed the EGR valve. The chugging is reduced down to a slight stutter occasionally, the lean codes stayed away, the choking feeling is gone, and power is up from idle to redline.

This morning the lean codes popped back up. They stayed away for a few weeks, none of the other problems have returned, and it's still running great.

What the...

I'm going to clean the MAF again just for kicks. If the codes keep coming back, I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator is next to be replaced. I don't want to start replacing parts and hope it works though. The stutter appears to be the trans - I'm going to change the fluid and do a Jmod while it's cracked open - so I don't think they are related but not totally sure.

Is there something I'm overlooking here or a common problem with these cars I'm unaware of? Anyone got any ideas?

I'm probably wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
What are the codes? Original O2 sensors?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I cleared them before I wrote the numbers down. There were 2, "Lean left bank" and "Lean right bank".

I'm pretty sure it's the original O2 sensors but I'll check the paperwork I've got to be sure. Is there a way to find out if they are the problem instead of just crossing my fingers and hoping?

I'm probably wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
The first thing to check would be vacuum leaks anywhere after the MAF. If the o2s are original, chances are that by 190k, they are getting lazy. You check them by hooking up a scanner and watching the data after they warm up. With an engine not misfiring and with no vacuum leaks, the data will switch from like 100mV to 800mV constantly. You may also just have a clogged fuel filter.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

That's what I am looking for. I just want to be sure instead of throwing money at the car and hoping I catch the right thing.

Just changed the fuel filter about 3 weeks ago, it may be a clogged sock at the pump though. A clogged filter or sock would be a constant restriction, not something that comes and goes, right?

If there is a vacuum leak, I haven't found it. I'll check again when I wash the car in a minute.

I'm probably wrong
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:24 PM
It is nice

yea most likely

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I have never seen a sock that caused any problems on a Ford. There are TSBs for newer GM cars though that call for a different fuel pump sock. I would do a fuel volume and pressure test before doing anything inside the gas tank. Gas tanks suck too much to drop, especially when full.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

The O2 sensors are original and didn't see any vacuum leaks. Drove around for awhile today without the codes popping back up. Going to test the O2 sensors to be sure but that's probably going to be it. If that isn't it, I'll check the pressure and go from there. Thanks guys.

I'm probably wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in