Engine, check....computer, (place giant star next to) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dustytheredneck
Question Engine, check....computer, (place giant star next to)

So this last week I found a SC moter and 5 speed on craigslist I just had to buy. Its complete intercooler to starter to yoke. The only problem is the guy who I bought it went cut happy, cut driveshaft, wire harness, throttle cable....... The 5 speed I plan on putting in my Tbird, and the engine I have been THINKING about putting it in my d.d. F150.

My question is about the engine wire harness and computer. The moter is from a 1990. Do I have to use a 1990 computer and harness or would other years (say 94-96) computer and harness work also?

Thanks in advance

1983 F250 4x4 Diesel (summer daily driver), 1986 F150 4x4 strait 6 (plow truck)
1998 Lincoln Mark Viii LSC (Daily driver), 1995 Ford Thunderbird (Project)
1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 5 speed (sold), 1997 Lincoln Mark Viii (parts car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
.. more than one way to do this swap.

If you want to use a stock EEC, you need a similar EEC ( with or without EGR depends on your application ), I would stick with a 90 PCM. The 94/95 SC have the automatic trans function so you would need a 5 speed PCM, and then they are wired slightly different, they have a DIS module part of the PCM harness, and the 89-93 have the DIS mounted on the Engine harness. Plus you would need to use the 36# Injectors and the later model timing cover / harmonic balancer.

The 3.8 NA PCM will not run the engine correctly without a Tune. THe 89-93 and some 94/95 Federal emissions are made for a distributor whereas the SC uses a Distributorless Ignition system, the 94/95 are built to control the Electronic transmission and the 96/97 have OBD2 functionality so you would need to have it wired up for the OBD2 setup, and then re-flash the PCM to get the SC tune and transmission delete. You could use any PCM if you are going to re-flash it or get a chip, but without that you are limited to using the stock SC PCM.

I would stick with the early model harness and stock PCM, but you could definately make it work with a different harness and PCM if you have everything wired correctly and a tune.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dustytheredneck
ok....thanks for the info.......i think I look for the '90 parts then, other wise i'll end up selling the moter if I dont find the parts by the middle of june so I can have more funds for the Tbird when I start redoing it

1983 F250 4x4 Diesel (summer daily driver), 1986 F150 4x4 strait 6 (plow truck)
1998 Lincoln Mark Viii LSC (Daily driver), 1995 Ford Thunderbird (Project)
1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 5 speed (sold), 1997 Lincoln Mark Viii (parts car)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in