Q: Splitport Upgrade - 01 intake manifold gasket question - do I have the right one? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Q: Splitport Upgrade - 01 intake manifold gasket question - do I have the right one?

Hi:
I'm in the middle of a split port conversion for my 1995 Ford Thunderbird. I acquired the upper/lower intake manifolds from what was allegedly a 2001 Mustang V6.

When I ordered these gaskets (Felpro Set MS 98011T-2), I'm not 100% sure that I purchased the right gaskets for this manifold/heads.

Q: Can you guys confirm that I have the right gaskets?

Of particular interest are the areas I highlighted in with the question marks.
Technically, all the intake holes line up but there seem to be
a) these blockages for the water passages
b) some mount holes that don't line up with anything
c) some metal cut outs that don't line up with cutouts on the head (see pic 4).

I figure that the block off plates with small pinholes is to limit water flow in/out of the head. My application for this car is a 24 Hours of Lemons endurance racing vehicle. The engine will spend most of its time between 3K-4K RPM for 8 hours at a stretch -- maybe nearly 3 times that if we run a "true 24" race. The engine warms up to 210F and appears to stay there. I don't use this car as a daily driver.

Q: Does it make sense to enlarge these pinholes in the block off plates or will that be detrimental for my application? I know that I don't want to create "cavitation" like what happens when you run w/o a gasket but I'd like some suggestions/advice here.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
REgards,
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I would leave the pinholes alone, you can mess up flow if you start messing with the block off plates in intake gaskets. I am confused by what you mean when you say "b) some mount holes that don't line up with anything" I think I do, but I have my doubts as to whether those are actual mounting holes.

Technically, all you need are all intake-to-head bolts to have their openings and all passages to be properly sealed off. The reason some of it may look funny is that the same part number head fits both sides of the block. 4.6l engines have a funny spot on the RH rear that looks like its a problem, but its just the spot where the intake would bolt to the head if it was on the LH side. This is a probable good explanation for point C. The car, no doubt, was an 01, not that it matters. Only difference is that some early years, 99 maybe 2000, dont have imrcs.

If temp is an issue, there are some huge dual core aluminum mustang radiators that have at cooler built in for like $130. I plan on getting another for this car! Good luck and let us know if you have more questions!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Those extra holes at the ends look like blind holes .. you can see where the coolant passages and intake ports have discoloration and the other areas do not, so nothing flows through there. Hard to tell from pictures though, I havent had a chance to see the splitport heads / intake in person. Ill second the not messing with the extra holes, the ones for the bolts that are not present wont be an issue, the gasket is sealed around it - they are just for other types of heads, and the coolant passage with the smaller holes if they are anything like the head gaskets, the larger coolant passages go towards the rear of the engine block and the smaller ones towards the front for proper coolant circulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Those extra holes at the ends look like blind holes .. you can see where the coolant passages and intake ports have discoloration and the other areas do not, so nothing flows through there. Hard to tell from pictures though, I havent had a chance to see the splitport heads / intake in person. Ill second the not messing with the extra holes, the ones for the bolts that are not present wont be an issue, the gasket is sealed around it - they are just for other types of heads, and the coolant passage with the smaller holes if they are anything like the head gaskets, the larger coolant passages go towards the rear of the engine block and the smaller ones towards the front for proper coolant circulation.
Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Next Step: fabrication of the fuel rail!
-g

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Please make a thread on that with pics. The splitport swapping community would love it. It sucked having to buy an econoline 4.2l rail and then make a plenum spacer and still having to grind the plenum to clear the fuel pressure regulator. I did the swap on a Mustang before information was available on making the rail return type! It was the only real headache of the whole thing. Drilling and tapping the manifold for a temp sender was nothing compared to working around the econoline rail.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Im glad I didnt buy one then.
-g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in