Q: Supercoupe Engine to N/A application conversion... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Q: Supercoupe Engine to N/A application conversion...

Hi:
In addition to upgrading my known-good 3.8L N/A engine that's in my lemons car with a splitport intake/heads, I've decided to cobble together a spare engine using the 3.8L engine I acquired from my 89 supercoupe donor car (I bought it for the manual transmission).

My plan is to do this as cheaply as possible so I will take the single port intake manifold from my "known good engine" and throw it onto this SC block.

The goal is to put together something I can quickly drop into the lemons car should something bad happen mid-race.

Right now, I'm hoping to learn more about the differences between the two engines. Please correct me if I'm wrong/misguided here on any of these statements/plans
* I understand that the 89SC has forged Crankshaft and Connecting rods. That's nice but not particularly relevant for me.

* However, the SC has a lower compression ratio (8.2:1) compared to the NA engine (8.8:1). This is a backup engine for me so I don't care about the slightly lower HP (some HP is better than nothing).

Allegedly, the SC compression ratio is lower than the 3.8 because the pistons use a larger dish. (confirmed by SCTbird1994)
http://3.7mustang.com/vb/f5/sc-na-94...1/#post4535284

* I plan to do a mild polishing/gasket matching for the single port intake manifold and heads. Nothing drastic. It might be labor intensive, but hey, it's a project.

* 89sc engine turns over when you spin the crank but I'm not sure if the head gaskets are good. Since I will have the top of the engine off anyway (and i want to take a look inside the block so I plan on swapping out headgaskets anway)

* SC vs NA Heads: valve sizes are the same but casting is slightly larger for a thicker deck surface and therefore less prone to warpage (see below)
I will go with re-using the SC heads.

* Crank Sensor: TBD

* Timing Belt Cover: different shape and different crank sensor mount position on the early SC vs NA.

* Water pump: the water pumps are different from the SC and the N/A engine so I will need a new water pump if I'm going to convert this engine to N/A.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124224

* I plan to have a 95 return style fuel rail and injectors pre-installed on the 89SC block and ready to rock since I already have a spare fuel rail and that stuff is easier to install with the upper intake manifold off.

* Accessories: I don't plan on buying a spare alternator, PS pump, A/C delete bracket, distributor/ignition system, and tensioner so all of that stuff will be carried over from the N/A splitport engine should something bad happen.

QUESTIONS
Q: For this 89SC engine converted to N/A, should I just re-use the heads from the 89SC or should I use the heads from my 95 Tbird N/A?

Q: Are there any other differences I should be aware of that I will need to buy in advance or carry over during a race-day swap? Example: oil pan?

Q: While I'm swapping out injectors, I probably should swap out injector seals as well. I see a bunch of different options for seals and the packaging is different.
Is the best option just buying qty six of SK Products #SK57 (includes cap,2 o-rings, and washer)? Or, can I just buy 12 o-rings (2 per injector).

Thanks,
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Last edited by S4gunn; 05-10-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The SC Crankshaft and Connecting rods are Forged, the pistons are the standard Hypereutectic aluminum / alloy.

Compression ratio is different due to the piston dish, this is correct. Head combustion chamber volume is the same between the NA and SC heads.

I have read there is a slight difference between the valve cover mating surfaces, so if you are using the 95 valve covers, you may prefer the NA heads so they wont leak.

The Knock sensor is on the side of the block behind the passenger motor mount.

SC water pump has extra coolant ports so these will need to be dealt with.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
I have read there is a slight difference between the valve cover mating surfaces, so if you are using the 95 valve covers, you may prefer the NA heads so they wont leak.

The Knock sensor is on the side of the block behind the passenger motor mount.

SC water pump has extra coolant ports so these will need to be dealt with.
1) If I don't care which valve covers I use, the heads are the same (SC vs NA)?

2) SO this means that I can re-use the timing cover (or whatever you call the lump the water pump bolts onto)?

3) I plan on buying a new WP anyway ($20-30) so the 95 N/A engine will get a fresher pump and this SC engine will get the 95's used NA pump. Problem solved, right?

-g

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
SC heads have a thicker deck surface and are less susceptible to warping. They might have bigger valves too but I'll let someone who knows 3.8s better confirm

-Matt
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
1) If I don't care which valve covers I use, the heads are the same (SC vs NA)?

2) SO this means that I can re-use the timing cover (or whatever you call the lump the water pump bolts onto)?

3) I plan on buying a new WP anyway ($20-30) so the 95 N/A engine will get a fresher pump and this SC engine will get the 95's used NA pump. Problem solved, right?

-g
NA water pump wont bolt to the SC timing cover. They are different shape. Also the early SC timing cover doesnt have a mounting point for the Crankshaft sensor - it is bolted to the block instead of the cover, the NA timing cover has the mounting location for the sensor.

Valves are the same size. Heads are very similar, but like mentioned above, the SC heads are thicker casting.

Last edited by dDUBb; 05-10-2012 at 01:41 PM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
NA water pump wont bolt to the SC timing cover. They are different shape. Also the early SC timing cover doesnt have a mounting point for the Crankshaft sensor - it is bolted to the block instead of the cover, the NA timing cover has the mounting location for the sensor.

Valves are the same size. Heads are very similar, but like mentioned above, the SC heads are thicker casting.
Thanks for all this useful info, Dan. I have updated my original post.

I will re-use the SC heads
I will buy a new N/A waterpump.

I need an NA timing cover. This guy's post is quite confusing so I'm not 100% sure which cars I can get one from
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost...89&postcount=5

Q: Do I need to do something about the crankshaft sensor or will be compatible from the 89SC to my 93/95 ECU (depending on which I use).

Q: Finally, what about the injector rings?
Is it typical just to swap the two o-rings per injector or should I get the 4pc party pack (2 orings, pintle cap, spacer)

-g

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
As long as the existing pintle caps aren't broken, you can just change the O-rings. If several of the pintle caps are broken, then it would be worth it to get new ones since that would likely mean the plastic will be pretty brittle on all of them.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Q: Do I need to do something about the crankshaft sensor or will be compatible from the 89SC to my 93/95 ECU (depending on which I use).
I dont have an EVTM for the 1989 Tbirds, but I have 93 and 95.

The 93 SC uses a crankshaft position sensor with the DIS and the 93 NA uses a Hall effect sensor for the ignition module on the Distributor engine. The 95 Tbird also uses the Hall effect .. I recall reading that the early SCs used a Hall effect also, I guess it really depends on the type of harmonic balancer used and if the timing cover has the mounting points for the sensor.

The SC balancer is 0 balanced, and the NA are counterweighted - but you are already using the SC flywheel, I cant recall if it was the early style with the counterweight or the 0 balanced one.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
I dont have an EVTM for the 1989 Tbirds, but I have 93 and 95.

The 93 SC uses a crankshaft position sensor with the DIS and the 93 NA uses a Hall effect sensor for the ignition module on the Distributor engine. The 95 Tbird also uses the Hall effect .. I recall reading that the early SCs used a Hall effect also, I guess it really depends on the type of harmonic balancer used and if the timing cover has the mounting points for the sensor.

The SC balancer is 0 balanced, and the NA are counterweighted - but you are already using the SC flywheel, I cant recall if it was the early style with the counterweight or the 0 balanced one.

It should be early style because the flywheel, transmission, and engine all came out of the same donor car, right?

Unless you tell me otherwise, I guess I should start looking for a crank position sensor + timing cover...

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
It should be early style because the flywheel, transmission, and engine all came out of the same donor car, right?

Unless you tell me otherwise, I guess I should start looking for a crank position sensor + timing cover...
Just look at your balancer and the sensor ring behind it .. if it looks the same as the SC one, youre OK .. but if the SC timing cover doesnt have the mounting point, you'll need to switch it or look for another one.

I cant remember, the early production 89 SC's had the duracast crank with the external balance and midway through 89 they changed to the forged crank and internally balanced components with 0 balance flywheel and balancer.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Quote:
I cant remember, the early production 89 SC's had the duracast crank with the external balance and midway through 89 they changed to the forged crank and internally balanced components with 0 balance flywheel and balancer.
Cool, didnt know this. I thought all SC engines were 0 balance.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
<-- hoping I don't have a duracast crank

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I have put a 28 oz flywheel on a zero balance engine...it vibrated alot until I figured out what was going on

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I have put a 28 oz flywheel on a zero balance engine...it vibrated alot until I figured out what was going on
I had a buddy with a 95 SC .. another shop mis-diagnosed his blown rear differential and replaced the clutch and flywheel - an 89 counterweight SC flywheel, it had a wicked vibration around 2000-3000 RPM, rattled the whole car, broke the motor mounts and the power steering leaked all over which took out the suspension bushings also. I had a hunch it was a flywheel problem, but didnt find out until I actually tore it all down to replace everything.

Chris - If you take your flywheel off, and it has an AA suffix on the part number its a Duracast crank setup.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
I had a buddy with a 95 SC .. another shop mis-diagnosed his blown rear differential and replaced the clutch and flywheel - an 89 counterweight SC flywheel, it had a wicked vibration around 2000-3000 RPM, rattled the whole car, broke the motor mounts and the power steering leaked all over which took out the suspension bushings also. I had a hunch it was a flywheel problem, but didnt find out until I actually tore it all down to replace everything.

Chris - If you take your flywheel off, and it has an AA suffix on the part number its a Duracast crank setup.
Unfortunately my new to me 89-92 engine has no balancer and no flywheel. Anything else to look at?

227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
Unfortunately my new to me 89-92 engine has no balancer and no flywheel. Anything else to look at?
Not unless youre going to take the crankshaft out and check for balance. I have the part numbers for the Duracast Harmonic balancer, Crankshaft pulley, and the Flywheel only if you had any of those parts.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The 89-93 Crank sensor uses a 3-vane setup and the 94+ uses a 36 minus one tooth (if I'm thinking right ) just like the 4.6.

The 89-93 must use the Cam sensor to know which plug to fire (without it will guess till gets it right) but the 94+ knows only with the crank once it notices the missing tooth.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Not unless youre going to take the crankshaft out and check for balance. I have the part numbers for the Duracast Harmonic balancer, Crankshaft pulley, and the Flywheel only if you had any of those parts.
If I take the pan off (which I need to anyway to reseal the pan) would I be able to visually identify the differences between the duracast and forged crank?

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
If I take the pan off (which I need to anyway to reseal the pan) would I be able to visually identify the differences between the duracast and forged crank?
Chris - I dont think so, but I would turn it over a few times and look for part numbers, stamping ID's, etc .. usually the crankshafts with the internal balance will have some holes drilled in the counterweights also, look for those.

Bowez - The vehicle in question has no cam sensor, it uses a distributor instead.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Chris - I dont think so, but I would turn it over a few times and look for part numbers, stamping ID's, etc .. usually the crankshafts with the internal balance will have some holes drilled in the counterweights also, look for those.
Thank you.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Q: Are all SC injectors (including the early ones) 30# injectors?
They have a red top to them.

Rockauto actually failed me here (I was hoping for more technical information) but
a) the Motorcraft ones they identify when I do a search are grey and not red
b) it says the Motorcraft ones are only for 86-93 thunderbirds

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=1432653
I see from this thread that
89-93 use 30# injectors
and 94-96 use 36# injectors

Hrm. I have a set of 14# injectors from my original engine (upgrading to splitport).
I have a set of 19# injectors if I decide to get an aftermarket flash for my upgraded engine, and I need another set of 14# injectors for my backup engine (the 89SC I'm converting to N/A).

After cleaning/testing, I may need to trade my 30# injectors for a set of (6) 14# injectors...

-g

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
89-93 use 30# injectors
and 94-95 use 36# injectors
This information is Correct. 30# injectors are Red top, 36# Blue for OEM No SC in 1996.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Q: I have my 14# injectors off my car now and was about to rebuild them with new o-rings and pintle caps using Standard Motor Products SK57 rebuild kits.

The problem I've found is that the pintle caps in my rebuild kits have a significantly smaller opening than the ones on my existing fuel injectors -- so much so that it they somewhat shroud the four injector pinholes.

Q: What should I do? Re-use the old pintle caps (the injectors worked just fine) or use my drill press to open up these pintle caps with my drill press?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,
-g

PS. The kits I bought (summitracing says they should fit my 95 tbird).
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SM...%7cYear%7c1995
PSS. These pintles seem to be the right size for the 30# injectors that came with my 89 SC donor car.

Last edited by S4gunn; 08-19-2012 at 10:42 PM.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I would re-use your old ones if they aren't broken apart. The new pintle caps you got are for a different style injector that only has 1 nozzle instead of the 4.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in