3.8L Mystery Sensor? I think it's temp but I'd like your advice.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
3.8L Mystery Sensor? I think it's temp but I'd like your advice..

Hi:
I've come across another sensor in my disassembly and documentation of my 3.8L as I prep it for a splitport upgrade. I will publish a more thorough walkthrough with tips and suggestions but for now, I could use some help in identifying a mystery sensor. I've consulted my shop manual and EVTM and this is what I know:

* This sensor is a single wire sensor similar in wiring and shape to to the temp sender for the factory temp gauge that is mounted to the T-shape underneath the coolant air bleed valve. It's not the gauge temp sender.

* This sensor sits on a coolant pipe. It's mounted on the hard pipe that goes from the front of the intake manifold, runs alongside the passenger side valve cover, to a rubber hose connected to the heater core, and finally ending at the rear of the intake manifold.

* I confirmed with the EVTM that it's NOT the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor. That's the one that sends the coolant temp to the PCM and is mounted to the second t-shaped adapter to the left of the air-bleed valve.

* Finally, it's not the Intake Air Temp Sensor (IAT) as that one is mounted at the rear of the lower intake manifold according to my EVTM.

Q: So if it's not the gauge temp sensor and not the PCM's temp sensor, what is this?

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Please note that in my pic, the heater core has been bypassed. I'm just trying to figure out what this sensor is so I can determine if I need to add anything to the new splitport manifold.

Thanks,
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
It's for the auto climate control

-Matt
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
It's for the auto climate control
Thanks for the prompt reply! I confirmed this in my shop manual.
Section 12-03B-36

It's the "Temperature Control Lockout Valve and Switch" found in cars with the Semi Auto Temp Control only.

According to the wiring manual of the same manual (section 12-03B-12), it's connected to the SATC module which I don't have installed anymore so I can safely skip it without an annoying CEL coming on.

That's one less item for me to deal with....
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in