Splitport - Sensor Requirements - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Splitport - Sensor Requirements

Hi:
I'm busy cataloging modifications I need to make to my upper and lower splitport intake manifolds. I will document this more thoroughly later but right now, I could use some advice from other folks who have adapted the splitport intake+heads to a tbird.

Upper Intake Manifold
- Need to install the Intake Air Temp Sensor to the intake manifold
Q: Where do you guys drill and tap the intake manifold for the IAT sensor?

Lower Intake Manifold
- I see three items to install here: ECT Coolant Temp Sensor (for PCM), Coolant Temp Sensor for gauge, and Air Bleeder Bolt (must be at highest point of coolant system).
On my 2001 lower intake manifold (same for all 99-04 lower intake manifolds), there's only one pre-tapped sensor mount point at an angle next to the thermostat mount point. On this front, I think I have this pretty well figured out based on a pic I saw of bay_bird93's lower intake manifold. I can simply drill and tap just above the thermostat mount point at a point that seems well marked from the factory.

I'll post more of this stuff later once I've made it through this swap. Thanks in advance for your advice.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
On the Singleport 3.8's, the two coolant temp sensors are in the crossover section of the intake manifold - both are on risers / water outlets, the one for the heater core, and the one near the Thermostat. Anywhere in this area or T'd off would be OK.

Air intake temp .. usually this is installed in the Air Intake box, or the Intake tube .. not necessarily the manifold - the manifold can get hotter and give different readings than the temp of the air coming in through the intake tube, mis-readings could throw off the air/fuel ratio. Any sensor on the intake is usually for an intake pressure / load sensor like a Barometric pressure sensor. Only the SC's used the Baro for altitude adjustments and they are seperate from the intake manifold. The 1993 3.8 NA PCM you are using doesnt use a Baro sensor, it calculates air volume with the MAF, IAT and TPS sensors.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
6th Gear Poster

IAT- Mounted in the air box

Coolant Temp Sensor- Lower intake manifold

Misc. Coolant Sensor (For my electric fan)- Coolant tube

ECT- Lower intake manifold

'97 Lincoln Mark Viii LSC - Stock
'93 Ford Thunderbird - Splitport & M5r2
'64 Chevrolet Impala SS - Stock

Last edited by Bay_Bird93; 08-14-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I drilled and tapped the split port intake on that boss right by the thermostat. I never even removed the intake from the engine to do it. I did it right on the engine stand. Use lots of rags to stuff the holes so the shavings cant get away from you, then do a meticulous clean up job! Its easier with the intake off because you can flush the shavings away with water after drilling and tapping.

I agree with sctbird, nothing wrong with a tee to put 2 sensors in one place. It worked great on my 94 for years until I went with the CHT sensor instead of ECT for a cleaner look. I would like the IAT sensor in the airbox as well. With the right grommet or some JB weld, that shouldnt be a problem. I have only seen IAT or ambient temp sensors go bad when people hit things and bend the car up, breaking the sensor.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
To bump an old thread...

I'm currently doing a similar build. I need to have the 2 factory gauges, and I'm also adding an aftermarket gauge for accuracy and redundancy. The heads that I have came from a 1999 4.2 and they have the rear head temp sensor. Is this of any use to me, and if so how do I tie it in? I plan to have the bosses on the front of the intake tapped, but I'm looking for a place for the aftermarket one. Could I use the head temp in place of one of the stock sensors, and then use the front intake location for the new gauge?

Edit: I believe I can use the head sensor for the computer. They are both 2 wire, so I'll just reroute and repin for the different connector. And then run my new sensor in the front of the intake.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W

Last edited by jco1385; 06-13-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in