Still having issues. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Still having issues.

I had gotten this '96 Thunderbird LX a few months ago now, and it wasn't in the best of condition when I got it but now it seems to be getting worse.

It's got a terrible idle problem that I just cannot figure out! The damn thing will surge down constantly until I put it in neutral or give it a little gas. It will bog down from the idle speed of 600, to 300ish for about half a second then back up at random intervals, sometimes the time in between is slower, sometimes faster.

I've changed everything on this thing, besides the normal tuneup of oil and filters, I've done the plugs and wires, seafoamed it [prior to tearing down the intake and cleaning the upper and lower by hand] I've replaced all rotten hoses, the pvc valve, air filter, fuel filter, injector cleaner-ed[ 3 times now] all upper intake gaskets, so much more. It still does this, but only after about 30mins of driving.

There's no leaks, there's nothing dripping. All gaskets are fine, no vacuum leaks either. I pulled a vacuum test on all the hoses I can find. The stupidest thing is that the damn thing doesn't even throw any codes!

The other problem is the suspension or steering is squeaking like a s-o-b. Everytime I turn the wheel it's a constant annoying squeal. I cannot figure out where it's coming from, but I greased up everything and no luck still. It's super annoying going through a parking garage.

Any help would be appreciated, but at any rate it's already up on Craigslist for sell so I can try to get a 98 SHO they have there. I'd hate to see it go but I'm afraid it's going to turn into a money pit before long and I just can't afford that.

Thanks...

2000 Taurus SE "Lady Hearse"
1995 Taurus SHO "Organ Donor"
1996 Thunderbird LX "Jade Phoenix"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM
3rd Gear Poster

did you replace the iac? maf sensor could be bad also. also, get rid of that stock junky airbox. i replaced mine with a cheap ebay intake and it made my car run 100% better at idle.

that squeek may be the power steering pump. could be that the belt is worn and doesent have enough Grip to turn the pump when the car is turning. had this happen on my 99 dodge pickup.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

I can't see how it's the pump seeing how if I push down on the hood with the car off, it squeaks like a squeaky mattress or something. It's coming from the right side front, but I greased everything there is in sight.

I replaced the IAC and EGR [and controller] I haven't touched my MAF yet, but I was going to get some of that cleaner stuff for it and see what happens.

2000 Taurus SE "Lady Hearse"
1995 Taurus SHO "Organ Donor"
1996 Thunderbird LX "Jade Phoenix"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in