DIY: S4gunn's homebrew $59 EEC-IV data logging system... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
DIY: S4gunn's homebrew $59 EEC-IV data logging system...

All:
Here's how I built up my DIY EEC-IV Data Logging device in an attempt to track down an issue where my tbird won't rev beyond 4250RPM. If this was an OBD2 car, I could have easily bought a data logging device that plugged into the OBD2 connector and sampled all the necessary information. Instead, since my 95 tbird is EEC-IV, I needed to track down and log all the various signals and figure out a way to capture said information. Near term, this helped me track down my 4250RPM problem. Longer term, when coupled with a wideband O2 setup, I will be able to log information that will potentially allow me to optimize my tune better.

What's needed:
  • EVTM: this is crucial to figure out exactly which wires you need to tap into for your car. Please pay close attention to the signal list for the ECU.
  • DI-149 data acquisition module from DATAQ.COM - $59 from http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di149.htm
  • Recommended - Screw Terminal Block & spade connectors: If you terminate the extensions of all the signal wires into spare connectors, you will be able to easily move signals around the data acquisition module and/or remove them if needed. I bought this one for $2.29
    @ https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=208900
  • small PCB and resistors to create a voltage divider circuit (if necessary).
  • Tools: Soldering iron, wire strippers, wire clippers
  • Lots of heat shrink tubing and a heat gun (you especially don't want crimp on connections coming loose on inputs to your ECU lest they fall off while you are driving. That would suck).
  • Mounting case: I screwed all the various components into a thin piece of scrap plywood which fit perfectly into a dead PS2's case.
  • Recommended - Wideband O2 setup: A teammate donated this WB O2 Setup from his old car and I was able to quickly set it up. The datalogger is now capable of sampling real data for proper mail order tuning. http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

Procedure:
  • Determine which wires to log from your EVTM. All of these wires can be spliced at the harness going into the ECU. Double check everything before cutting any wires.
  • Create an extension for the wires you want to log. Document everything. I documented the color of each wire extension AND put labels on each of the wires I cut at the ECU harness.
  • Bring the wires into a box (I used a screw terminal block to create a point of demarcation).
  • If needed, build a voltage divider circuit to step down any 12V signals down to something that your DATAQ box can handle. Or, but the more expensive box that can handle +/- 30V vs. +/- 5V. This can be done using resistors as a voltage divider. I had a bulk pack of 100 6.8K resistors. Using these two calculators, I figured that (2) 6.8K resistors in parallel connected to (3) 6.8K resistors in parallel resulted in a voltage conversion of 12V down to 4.8V.
    http://www.calculatoredge.com/electr...e%20divide.htm
    http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technica...calculator.htm
  • Configure the data capture software as needed.

Signals I Logged/Researched Logging:
Please note that these signals were from a 95 tbird 3.8L N/A. Your signals may vary.
  • RPM: The "Ignition Diagnostic Monitor Wire" (from the ignition control module to the ECU) also goes to the gauge cluster for the tachometer.
    Pin #4 Circuit 659 (Orange / White) @ ECU Plug
    12V PWM signal (Hz varies with RPM).
    For my 6 cyl engine, you will get 3 pulses per RPM.
    This leads to a 50Hz signal @ 1K RPM

• Heated O2 Sensor #1:
    Pin #44 Circuit 74 (Gray / Light Blue) @ ECU Plug
    0-1V analog voltage
    Note: this is of limited value b/c NB O2 sensors will really only give two values = around .5V when running in closed loop and around .9V at WOT
    Once warm:
    <.45V lean
    >.45v rich (should be .9 at WOT)

• Heated O2 Sensor #2:
    Pin #43 Circuit 94 (Red / Black) @ ECU Plug
    Same as above

• MAF Voltage
    Pin #50 (Light Blue / Red) @ ECU Plug
    0-5V
    Should be ~1.5V at idle.
    If your signal hits 5V, you are at the limit of what the MAF can detect so your tune needs to be aware of this issue OR you need a bigger MAF

• TPS Sensor
    Pin #47 Circuit 355 (Gray / White) @ ECU Plug

• O2 Wideband
    LC-1 has a 0-5V analog voltage output (output #2) that varies linearly based on the A/F ratio specifically for dataloggers
    The "Engineering Units" conversion option in the DATAQ software allows you to log the actual A/F ratio.
    NOTE: I wired output #1 (simulated NB output) to an old Autometer NB O2 gauge I was given. It's very disco looking.
    0V = AFR 7.35
    5V = AFR 22.39"

• Spark Signal: Spark Out Wire (from ECU to ingition module)
    Tells Ignition Module when to spark.
    Pin #36 @ ECU Plug

• Injector #1: Can be used to measure duty cycle of the injectors
    If injectors hit 99% duty cycle, you know your injectors are maxed out.
    If the duty cycle drops at load, you know something (the ECU) has cut fuel.
    Pin #56 @ ECU Plug
    Since I couldn't log this directly with my DI-149, I ended up wiring this separately to a multimeter that can measure duty cycle.
    Here's the cheapest one I found: $17 shipped
    http://www.adorama.com/PYPDMT02.html

SW Configuration Tips:
  • All PWM signals must come in the digital channels (not the analog ones). There's only one digital channel on the DI-149 (DC-2) that allows for rate counting (will measure it in Hz). You can find this under the "Channel Selection" option. Select Rate (R) mode.
  • You can configure the SW to convert the measured data (V, Hz) to useful information. I did this with the RPM Hz to convert it to actual RPM. This will be output to the CSV file during logging.
  • You can export this data from the native format to a CSV using the waveform browser. Excel can then import the CSV file. There's no reason to buy the realtime-Excel plugin unless you want to program realtime gauges or something like that.
  • The "Save as Default" option is a nice way to save the configuration you have setup for future use the next time you open the WINDAQ app.

Problem:
  • My only complaint about this setup is that I can't definitively confirm that my ECU is doing what it's supposed to be doing because I cannot log RPM,
    Spark Out, and Injector duty cycle at the same time as all three are 12V PWM signals. I could put in a circuit that converts the PWM signal into a DC voltage so I'm looking at these options now. The downsides of such a option are as follows:
  • A low-pass filter may offer a realtime response BUT seems to generate a see-saw variable voltage output instead of a smooth voltage output. I need to research a better circuit and or I/C solution
  • Any microprocessor based conversion may not give me data in a timely enough fashion. For every sample (1/sec), I want to see the exact RPM, Spark Out duty cycle, Injector duty cycle, and A/F ratio. I don't want to see RPM and A/F Ratio but the spark_out or injector duty cycle of a few secs ago.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Last edited by S4gunn; 03-07-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Injectors are pretty much maxed out at 85% .. also, Bank 1 and Bank 2 might read slightly differently based on feedback from the o2 sensors on each side.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Moderator &amp;amp; Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Injectors are pretty much maxed out at 85% ..
Unless you only run the car at that same DA

S4gunn, what is the TOTAL cost of something like this? The "$59" is kinda misleading ya know. I only ask to ask, as I already have datalogging capability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I thought I went through the list of everything I used. If you think about it, all the sensors are already built into your car -- you just need a way to capture them. That's the $59 box.

I recently added an WB O2 sensor which cost me $0 but a friend $200 new (he no longer needs it and its his contribution to the racing team). The WB O2 Sensor now lives in the passenger side exhaust manifold where the EGR tube used to screw in.

You could call this a $259 WB datalogger if you want but your SCT Tuner (or equivalent) still needs a the same $200 WB O2 sensor+controller to capture the best data for tuning.

* The biggest investment is time figuring out where all the wires you need to tap into are and the patience to bring them non-haphazardly into a the datacapture box. I was especially careful that every single connection was soldered and covered in heat shrink tubing. After all, an improper connection on any of those signal wires could lead to a short/ground which would in turn send some bad data to the ECU.

* The software is pretty straightforward. I figured it out within 15 minutes of fiddling and googling a few times when necessary.

Having already built the system, I realized that you don't need any of the voltage divider circuitry I built because all the sensors you want to capture are already <5V (MAF, NBO2, WBO2, TPS). The single PWM signal you absolutely need (RPM) can be brought directly into the DI-149 because the box is 30V tolerant on the digital inputs.
- That stuff probably took an extra hour to frabricate.
- Ideally, I would have been able to log the signals sent by the ECU to the rest of the car (Fuel Injector Duty Cycle & Spark Signal) but I realized after the fact that my ECU can't handle more than PWM signal.
- If you trust that the ECU is sending the signal its supposed to send for a given throttle position, RPM, MAF reading, all you need is to sample this data plus the WB O2's Air to Fuel Ratio (voltage converted to a proper AFR number by the software), and you've got enough data to do a mail order tune.

So seriously: if you get your laptop from work, the case from your old electronics pile, the wiring from scrap excess wires you pulled out of your vehicles harness (or another car), the plywood mounting board from your wood scrap pile, your investment in this project in consumables (heat shrink tubing, spade connectors, solder) and project specific needs (screw terminals and data acquisition module) will be <$70. Oh, add $17 if you want the completely standalone multimeter turned Injector duty cycle monitor.

-g

Last edited by S4gunn; 03-07-2013 at 12:48 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
so $259 + $70 + $17 is more realistic. $346 it is.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
so $259 + $70 + $17 is more realistic. $346 it is.
Dude, what's your problem? Why the attitude and interest in thread crapping? You may be a mod but if you don't like what i have to share, there's plenty of other threads to wave your balls around in.

The sad part is that if you think you are going to be snarky, you might as well do it correctly. It appears that you just took every number I listed and just added all of it together without bothering to read what i wrote.

$59 for the DI-149
$11 for the misc crap (connectors, scrap wood, box, wiring, etc)
$17 for the multimeter to monitor the injectors -- optional
$200 for the WB O2 sensor -- also optional

You can do basic logging for just $70 -- yes, that's what your car with obd2 and an SCT Tuner already allows for.
You can really understand if your ECU is working for $87.
If you want to do proper tuning, you can do it for $270.
I'd still call it a $59 system b/c the $11 worth of crap can be found in most garages...

-g

Last edited by S4gunn; 03-07-2013 at 11:03 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Dude, what's your problem? Why the attitude and interest in thread crapping? You may be a mod but if you don't like what i have to share, there's plenty of other threads to wave your balls around in.

The sad part is that if you think you are going to be snarky, you might as well do it correctly. It appears that you just took every number I listed and just added all of it together without bothering to read what i wrote.

$59 for the DI-149

You can do basic logging for just $70 -- yes, that's what your car with obd2 and an SCT Tuner already allows for.
I'd still call it a $59 system b/c the $11 worth of crap can be found in most garages...

-g
LOL .. you forgot to add in your College educational degree, food and lodging costs .. we'll just roughly estimate it .. add $50,000 to that list.

I dont need datalogging by the way, I keep my car stock. Master tech's dont work on our own cars you know.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post

$59 for the DI-149

-g
No problem here. You must have misinterpreted my attitude. I care not for thread capping. Just stating what I feel is a more 'realistic' $ figure. For example, how do you know that everyone has project boxes from electronics piles? How do you know that everyone has excess wires from harnesses laying around or better yet from cars they've pulled wire out of? (I myself have never gutted a vehicle of wires). How do you know that everyone (especially people who live in apartments) has a 'wood pile' just laying there ready to be used? Guess what--they don't. They probably don't have any of that stuff you are mentioning that you take for granted or have gotten free--and the fact of the matter is, it drives up the cost. Sure, WB logging is optional, but for the sole purpose of describing & replicating what you have done, it and everything else has a cost to the otherwise clueless newb, for if not for them, who else would you be posting this for?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
No problem here. You must have misinterpreted my attitude. I care not for thread capping. Just stating what I feel is a more 'realistic' $ figure. For example, how do you know that everyone has project boxes from electronics piles? How do you know that everyone has excess wires from harnesses laying around or better yet from cars they've pulled wire out of? (I myself have never gutted a vehicle of wires). How do you know that everyone (especially people who live in apartments) has a 'wood pile' just laying there ready to be used? Guess what--they don't. They probably don't have any of that stuff you are mentioning that you take for granted or have gotten free--and the fact of the matter is, it drives up the cost. Sure, WB logging is optional, but for the sole purpose of describing & replicating what you have done, it and everything else has a cost to the otherwise clueless newb, for if not for them, who else would you be posting this for?
I too doubt a "clueless noob" will take on this project but I believe your assumption that THEY were my target audience is entirely incorrect. In all likelihood, they are probably too busy daydreaming about a twin turbo setup or a 5.4 swap.

IMO, the ideal candidate for getting value out of this DIY would be someone who has some academic/hobbyist experience with electronics yet was clueless about exactly how the engine sensors interact with the ECU to control this car. If you may recall, I was trying to figure out the electrical characteristics of some of these sensors since i figured the ECU tuning forum would have the most knowledgable folks in this area but you chased me out. Basically, IMO, the target audience for this DIY is someone like me 2 months ago.

I appreciate you attempting to be honest about the pricing but it still baffles me that you are hung up on the little crap. You just have to think creatively.

1) Any box can be used: A kleenex box, An old toaster, An old phone, A VCR rewinder, hell, even the stock glove box. Surely someone with a car and an interest in datalogging would be able to lay their hands on one of these items for $0. It just requires you to "think outside the box." >badum-ching<

2) We aren't talking about high current wire (like your battery relocation cables) and we aren't talking about very long lengths so there are a ton of sources of small wiring that would be more than sufficient for this project. Examples: VCRs, old power supplies, etc. Even in the middle of nowhere, again, I maintain that anyone can find wiring for this project for little to no money. If they really had no money acquire a suitable donor item, I doubt they would take on a datalogger project.

3) Scrap wood. Noone, not even a noob, is stupid enough to buy a 4'x8' plywood sheet for this project. You don't even need the wood -- you can just screw the screw terminal block into the box if you want.

4) Oh, I forgot screws. You got me there. Add a few cents for those. Maybe a few bucks if you go nuts and buy the 100pc pkg.

I live in a very urban area - SF. My tbird barely fits in my one car garage (in order to close the garage door my front bumper overhangs the bottommost step of the stairs to go up to the main level of the house) and my working area isn't much larger. If I can scrounge these items with a little creativity and little if any money, most resourceful folks will be able to do the same.

-g

Last edited by S4gunn; 03-08-2013 at 02:41 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Believe me, I'm not hung up on anything----i can datalog to my hearts content. I like what you've done believe it or not. I just felt some things were mis-leading, and this being a public forum, I decided to voice my opinion, irrelevant if I was a mod or not.

Carry on....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Believe me, I'm not hung up on anything----i can datalog to my hearts content. I like what you've done believe it or not. I just felt some things were mis-leading, and this being a public forum, I decided to voice my opinion, irrelevant if I was a mod or not.

Carry on....
Thanks.
-g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in