Temp getting hot - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Temp getting hot

Hi all, it's been a while.

I have a question about my cooling system. The car does real well until the engine is under a load, such as A/C is on, going up a hill and it's 98+ outside. Then the meter is hitting near HOT where it usually runs 3/8 to 1/2 on the meter.

The mechanic that looked at my car a while back said I have coolant leaking into the head, where the leak was he was not sure. But he said to just leave it alone. But now summer is here and the car is getting hot like I mentioned.

Can a coolant leak cause the engine temp to go up that much?

Oh, BTW: New radiator, new t-stat, new pump. So the leak was the last thing I could think of why the engine gets so hot under load.

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...

Last edited by white lincoln; 06-16-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 12:54 AM

If coolant is leaking into the head, that sounds a lot like a head gasket leak, which is never a good thing. You should definitely get that checked out.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 AM
PostWhore

Yes a coolant leak may cause an engine to overheat. A leak will cause a loss of pressure in the system, and low pressure will lower the boiling temp. of the coolant.

Use a scan tool to give an accurate reading of engine coolant temp.

I would top-off the system to proper level, and pressure test the radiator with a hand pump, and look for leak(s).

Make sure the t-stat' is in fact opening. This can be done by placing it in a sauce pan on the stove using a thermometer to gauge the temp. in which it opens.

Make sure the fan is coming on. Esp. with the A/C on. Remember the fan speed is low/high. If it stays at low speed all the time there is a problem.

A neglected cooling system may also have clogged water jackets, etc...

Least we forget the possibility of a blown head gasket(s). Look for coolant in the oil. Chocolate milkshake on the dip stick, and oil in the coolant reservoir. And excess steam coming out the exhaust.

Sometimes a head gasket leak can be so small duplication of complaint cannot be verified by above mentioned means. There is a tester that attaches to the radiator cap (reservoir), and has a small container with a fluid that changes color if the presence of carbon monoxide is detected. Yellow to green, or I've seen some that change to purple. This method will detect even the smallest pin hole failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Excellent suggestions guys, thank you very much.

I know the t-stat is good because the car was acting worse than this with temps all over the place. I pulled the stat and it was jacked good. Since the temps have been stable until recently under the circumstances mentioned in the first thread, I am ruling out the stat.

I suspect the drivers side head gasket since the passenger side went out a couple years back. DO NOT BUY CHEAP HEAD GASKETS!!! Buy Fel Pro if unsure of what is good. I will run some compression tests to see what I get.

I have a rad tester, so I can check that and do a visual scan on the engine to see where I might have NEW leaks (these engines are crap when it comes to leaks).

And of course I get the smell of rad fluid after driving the car so it is leaking onto the block somewhere.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Started the quest

Got down to the bare lower intake last night. Hopefully tonight I can get the intake off and the head and start cleaning things up. THen put it all back together this weekend.

I decided to just fix the car since it does run well and is a good car.

Needs a stereo though...

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Got it all out and realized I don't need to do the head, just the intakes, top and botttom. I think the leak is coming from the lower intake. If I had head gasket issues, the engine would not run as well as it does.

Photos here:

http://s694.photobucket.com/user/Gol...39761126773365

I was going to clean the lower intake the old fashioned way and then I thought I would try some EasyOff oven cleaner. That stuff is great! I don't have a before picture, but beleive me it looked pretty bad. I even used it on the bolts and the valve cover. I have a can of gloss black engine paint incase the oven cleaner eats the paint off the cover. But it didn't.

I threaded the bolts and bolt holes as well as scraped off the heads where the intake mounts and the intake where the gasket was. Came out looking pretty nice, I was impresses. I should have it up and running tomorrow afternoon, or tomorrow night.

After I get it back together, I am going to flush the cooling system and run some engine cleaner through the engine then change the oil.

Any suggestions on what kind of engine cleaner to use?

Last edited by white lincoln; 06-16-2013 at 12:45 AM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Kind of slapped together

For cleaner, I've been using the Gunk Engine Flush (I presume you mean oil system cleaner).

Take that for what it's worth - free advise, worth what it cost you

RwP
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
I've been using the Gunk Engine Flush (I presume you mean oil system cleaner).
X2

I usually pour it in the crankcase..Let my car idle for about 5-10 minutes..Then drain the oil..

I'm guilty of not buying the most expensive oil..So when I do my oil changes..I want to know I get all the Gunk out..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Excellent. Thanks guys.

Yep, when cleaning the lower intake ports and bolt holes, a lot of crap was falling into the towel I had in the upper block. Even though I got most of it and had the intake and cooling ports plugged, crap still falls in there, not to mention the look of this oil after only 1000 miles.

Note* I did some research on Gunk engine flush and noticed that it had mixed reviews. I also went the to Gunk web site and found they do not list it. Hmmmmm.....

I think I will just change the oil after I am done. I was religious in changing my oil and am concerned that even after taking care of the car, the build up I found in the valve cover and block tells me that I may end up with sludge in the oil pan and it will gunk up the oil pump.

Is there a write up on dropping the oil pan on these engines?

Last edited by white lincoln; 06-16-2013 at 08:50 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Kind of slapped together

Take the lazy method then - switch to Mobil 1 full synthetic and do about four 3,000 mile changes.

It's amazing how much cleaner the fourth one will be ...

RwP
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Take the lazy method then - switch to Mobil 1 full synthetic and do about four 3,000 mile changes.

It's amazing how much cleaner the fourth one will be ...

RwP
Interesting, very interesting.

I also read you can drop a bottle of ATF in and it will clean the engine as well. Or for that matter, kerosene.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yep, all the detergent in the mobil cleans your motor out like exlax. its crazy awesome. my first oil change was at like 1k because it started burning through quarts like mad. that stuff looked like brown dek-a-cake plopping out of the drain-plug.

I'd still be running it if my valve seals in my 4.6 weren't so bad it stinks and smokes on anything synthetic.

also don't forget the Prestone Clean while your at it, toss in some distilled water and that stuff, run it for a month or so then dump it out and put in the green.

its probably also a good time to change the hoses on your cooling system, and try to clean off the AC condenser with a hose pipe sprayer from the engine compartment out.

after all that i doubt very much you'll have issues with temps.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by white lincoln View Post
Interesting, very interesting.

I also read you can drop a bottle of ATF in and it will clean the engine as well. Or for that matter, kerosene.
Well, yah. ATF is basically something like detergents with some 5 or 7 viscosity oil

I'll stick with Mobil 1 or Gunk Engine Flush, thankyouverymuch. I've seen what ATF can do to bearings on the old flathead motors, not interested in verifying the new materials are better.

RwP
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks for the comments, I do appreciate the input. I posted another thread about putting the intake back together.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear Poster

how easy was this, I may have to replace a timing cover gasket. any tips?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Quote:
For cleaner, I've been using the Gunk Engine Flush (I presume you mean oil system cleaner).

Take that for what it's worth - free advise, worth what it cost you

RwP
X2

I usually pour it in the crankcase..Let my car idle for about 5-10 minutes..Then drain the oil..

I'm guilty of not buying the most expensive oil..So when I do my oil changes..I want to know I get all the Gunk out..

Rayo..
What about a whole can of SeaFoam? Will that work just as well or is Gunk Engine Flush better than SeaFoam?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
What about a whole can of SeaFoam? Will that work just as well or is Gunk Engine Flush better than SeaFoam?
Depends on what you're doing.

I can buy the Gunk for about half the price of SeaFoam, and Gunk Just Plain Works.

But eh. I still buy Berryman

RwP
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I imagine this is what you're talking about?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 AM
3rd Gear Poster

check your radiator cap (3.8) or resovior tank cap (4.6). also Make sure your tstat is working properly, you can test it by Boiling it and watching it open. if it doesent... get a new t-stat and do the same thing before installing it into the vehicle.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
I imagine this is what you're talking about?

May be the same stuff, but it's actually:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=523555_0_0_

Again, that may be a AutoZone-specific package. Nobody else in town stocks it, however.

Which reminds me ... *makes note to buy two more for the next two oil changes in the Dakota*

RwP
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 AM
̇

Garage
Boiling A Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94lxbird
also Make sure your tstat is working properly, you can test it by Boiling it and watching it open. if it doesent... get a new t-stat
I hear people say this all the time..It's kind of confusing advice..

I'll break it down though..Basically you go out, and buy a brand "new" thermostat..

Then...If you think you have an issue with your "old" thermostat..Place the "old" thermostat in a pot of boiling water, and watch to see if it opens..

If your "old" thermostat doesn't open, or close properly then you have at least figured out you had a bad thermostat to begin with..

Either way..Now that you have boiled the "old" thermostat, and ruined it..You have to replace it with a "new" thermostat..

Don't boil a brand "new" thermostat..

*On another note..

It's always good practice to replace your thermostat if you have overheated your car to the point where coolant/water boils over..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Why is boiling a thermostat bad? Water boils at 212F which is easily below the safe maximum operating temperature of an engine which IIRC is 230F and boilover begins somewhere near 260F if the proper coolant to water mixture is used.

That being said, with the temperature maximum safe operating temperature of an engine being about 230F, the boiling poing of water being at 212F, and the t-stat opening up at 195F a thermostat can easily take 212F no problem. So, how does that ruin a thermostat?

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn
Why is boiling a thermostat bad?
Most people that boil their thermostat just throw it in a pan of boiling water, and let it sink to the bottom..

The bottom of the pan is hotter than the boiling water itself..As the thermostat lays on the bottom of the pan..The pressure increases inside the thermostat..

These higher than recommended temperatures that reside on the bottom of the pan will cause a premature failure of the thermostat..

If one was able to "suspend" the thermostat in a pot of boiling water while testing it..That would probably solve that problem..

As far as why it's a good idea to replace your thermostat after a boil ever..

The internal pressure that builds up in the cooling system in a boil over increases the coolant/water temperature even more..

Excessive pressure brought on by this will cause a premature failure of the thermostat..Likely damaging the wax element of the thermostat..

Hope that helps..

Rayo..

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Unless the wax element's container (?) is broken, then the wax element will re-solidify and go back to closed position when it's cold.

I'm no thermostat expert or anything, but I'm just questioning things here. For example, your explanation of placement of the thermostat on the surface of w/e pot it's being laid in is a perfectly good explanation as to why a thermostat would be ruined after placed in a pot of boiling water.

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear Poster

My temp gauge inside my 95 goes up/down pretty often,[also have a coolant leak] i had a boil over once but that was only as i opened the radiator cap under pressure and the coolant sprayed everywhere.[ would that break my thermostat?]
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky99 View Post
i had a boil over once but that was only as i opened the radiator cap under pressure and the coolant sprayed everywhere.[ would that break my thermostat?]
I doubt it. Lucky you weren't scalded!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in