Broken lower intake bolt - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 28
Broken lower intake bolt

I broke a lower intake bolt off below the hole. Can't seem to center punch it to try an easy out. Any suggestions or punt and get a new head?

1996 3.8 Thuderbird
eichenberg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 PM
4th Gear Poster
 
skinnytick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Age: 35
Posts: 299
Are the bolts seized and you broke them off when removing or did they break when you torqued them down?

I have used a flat-head screwdriver that has a slightly smaller diameter than the bolt, cut a small notch into the screwdriver's head and then pounded that into the broken bolt with a hammer. It left enough of an indent that I was able to unscrew the broken bolt.
skinnytick is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnytick View Post
Are the bolts seized and you broke them off when removing or did they break when you torqued them down?

I have used a flat-head screwdriver that has a slightly smaller diameter than the bolt, cut a small notch into the screwdriver's head and then pounded that into the broken bolt with a hammer. It left enough of an indent that I was able to unscrew the broken bolt.
It broke off when I torqued it down. I will give that a try tomorrow

1996 3.8 Thuderbird
eichenberg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichenberg View Post
It broke off when I torqued it down. I will give that a try tomorrow
Well that didn't work. Didn't make a dent in the broken off part. Think I am going to have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop and see if that can do anything for it.

Question. I just put new head gasket and ne head bolts on. The car has not been fired yet, can I re use the gasket and bolts or is it best to get new ones of both.

1996 3.8 Thuderbird
eichenberg is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear Poster
 
tbirdowner302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Age: 35
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichenberg View Post
Well that didn't work. Didn't make a dent in the broken off part. Think I am going to have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop and see if that can do anything for it.

Question. I just put new head gasket and ne head bolts on. The car has not been fired yet, can I re use the gasket and bolts or is it best to get new ones of both.
Don't pull the head off, if you do your going to have to replace the gasket and the bolts if you used stock torque to yield. Centerpunch that broken bolt and drill through it. Start small and get bigger. Do your best to be dead center in the middle and at the correct angle. Once you get a Decent size hole use an easy-out to extract it. The one time I did what you did, I ended up having to drill the bolt out completely, bought a 8mm x 1.25 helicoil kit from napa to repair the threads. The important thing to know is that aluminum is a pain to tap threads into, so be very careful to not break any tools while working with it. When aluminum gets hot, you break taps easily.

Before I put any engine parts back together I always clean every bolt and chase every thread into my heads. If you don't do that, this is what happens. Good luck my friend.

Chris

mywhite89-screen name on sccoa.com

89 supercoupe 5-speed, 1.7, 427rwhp
95 supercoupe auto, mpx, 310rwhp
tbirdowner302 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
bowez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NEAR
Posts: 2,472
I would suggest left handed drill(s)

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
bowez is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 AM
PostWhore
 
white lincoln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,086
Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdowner302 View Post
Before I put any engine parts back together I always clean every bolt and chase every thread into my heads. If you don't do that, this is what happens. Good luck my friend.

Chris
+1

...and use anti-seize compund on all bolt threads before putting them back in (with the exception of ones that need RTV)

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...

Last edited by white lincoln; 06-30-2013 at 09:24 AM.
white lincoln is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM
PostWhore
 
white lincoln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,086
Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichenberg View Post
I broke a lower intake bolt off below the hole. Can't seem to center punch it to try an easy out. Any suggestions or punt and get a new head?
I did that on an air pump pulley mount just recently. All three mounting bolts had snapped off, two came out fairly easy but one just would not come out. I used a drill bit to get a hole made and then used easy outs (I broke a few) to finally break it loose and get the bolts out. Keep at it, soak it in PB Blaster, use a propane torch, hammer and punch to loosen the bolt after you drilll an easy out hole in the bolt.

Try this before you give up and remove the head. I think you can do it, just keep at it. You will spend less money in tools than you will time and money to pay someone to remove that pesky bolt.

And use an electric HIGH SPEED drill when drilling. Cordless drills don't have the speed to drill into metal that hard.

Good luck.

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...

Last edited by white lincoln; 06-30-2013 at 09:26 AM.
white lincoln is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome