03 mustang gt swap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

03 mustang gt swap

I have the opportunity to buy a complete swap I know ill have to make a shifter because it'll come in some where in the dash and a 8.8 with axles and a custom driveshaft is there anything else I will need?

07 Civic SI Sedan-Daily
96 Thunderbird-Project
65 Mustang coupe-Project/Garage Art
http://www.1320addiction.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
- Hopefully you are also grabbing the ECU and harness.
- You will also need to deal with the return style vs. returnless fuel system.

Your existing chassis/fuel pump is setup to work with a return-style fuel system (two fuel line connections, vacuum actuated).
Your donor engine/car/ECU is setup for a returnless system (one fuel line from the tank to the fuel rail, ECU controlled).

I don't know about V8 Mustangs but I had to deal with something similar when I went from a single port 3.8 to a mustang's splitport 3.8L setup.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=141039

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Look up posts by master486. He did a 3.8 to 4.6 swap back around 2008 IIRC.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
What did you plan to do about smog ?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
What did you plan to do about smog ?
I believe in Calif, you can put a newer motor into a older vehicle, just not the other way around, At least that's how it was when I was a Smog Tech
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I'd grab the engine harness/eec from a 96/7 MN12 and tune it for the PI motor and save the hassle of trying to adapt all the GT stuff. Those will plug and play and you'll need a tune either way(you can't use the Mustang PCM in another chassis without shutting off PATS).

Master486 Converted his 96 V6 into a PI V8 in California, I don't see any reason why this won't. Would the 5 speed be an objection to the golden state smog nazis?

-Matt
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yes you can use a newer motor in an older vehicle - as long as you have all of the original smog equipment for that engine - secondary air, evap, EGR, etc etc .. first it will need to be taken to a referee to verify.

You'll need the catalytic converter downtube assembly from a 4.6 Tbird .. that 3.8 stuff wont bolt up. Its possible you might need the cat setup off the Mustang, depending on what the Ref says .. those mustangs came with 4 or more cats sometimes. I would ask the Ref before you start buying engines and stuff. This would be much easier if you had a 4.6 Tbird to begin with ..

The 5 speed stuff wont affect smog, its more about the emissions devices.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Well I only question the 5-speed as a possible red flag. If it were a 4R70w I suspect one could then just convince the ref the motor and trans came from Thunderbird and, assuming it carried all the necessary emissions parts, there'd be no questions asked(there's not a lot of visual call outs between a PI and npi afterall).

The presence of a stick though might throw a wrench into the equation since it'll be harder to fib that the powertrain came from a Thunderbird. In that case I'd think the scenario of having to adapt a Mustang 4 cat setup could come into play. Maybe I'm just overthinking it though

-Matt
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Well I only question the 5-speed as a possible red flag. If it were a 4R70w I suspect one could then just convince the ref the motor and trans came from Thunderbird and, assuming it carried all the necessary emissions parts, there'd be no questions asked(there's not a lot of visual call outs between a PI and npi afterall).

The presence of a stick though might throw a wrench into the equation since it'll be harder to fib that the powertrain came from a Thunderbird. In that case I'd think the scenario of having to adapt a Mustang 4 cat setup could come into play. Maybe I'm just overthinking it though
The Emissions equipment on the new motor have to meet or exceed the car its going into, So if it has a 3 cat system stock, that's all you have to have, Also, He can only install a Calif certified motor into a Calif car
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shumard View Post
The Emissions equipment on the new motor have to meet or exceed the car its going into, So if it has a 3 cat system stock, that's all you have to have, Also, He can only install a Calif certified motor into a Calif car

Yeah, I understand that. I'm suggesting that it'll be a lot easier to use stock MN12 parts like 3 cat exhaust(a Mustang 4 cat midpipe won't bolt in afterall) so passing off the 2003 Mustang motor as a visually identical 1997 Thunderbird motor to the ref would be the ticket for a hassle free swap I would think(Again, if the manual trans doesn't raise red flags, as I alluded to)

California certified motor means a motors only originally available in California, correct?(like you couldn't put a 400 in a 79 Trans Am in California because Cali cars only came with the olds 403) I wouldn't think the OP has to worry about that, AFIK all late model Mustangs are 50 state legal.

-Matt
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I understand that. I'm suggesting that it'll be a lot easier to use stock MN12 parts like 3 cat exhaust(a Mustang 4 cat midpipe won't bolt in afterall) so passing off the 2003 Mustang motor as a visually identical 1997 Thunderbird motor to the ref would be the ticket for a hassle free swap I would think(Again, if the manual trans doesn't raise red flags, as I alluded to)

California certified motor means a motors only originally available in California, correct?(like you couldn't put a 400 in a 79 Trans Am in California because Cali cars only came with the olds 403) I wouldn't think the OP has to worry about that, AFIK all late model Mustangs are 50 state legal.
I mean he couldn't install a motor that came from any other State other than California, they have what they call "49 state cars" and "California Cars", If you look on your Emissions Label, It says it meets "Federal" standards, Mine says it meets "Federal and California" standards
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
How would they know what the motor's from? Either way, I assume the OP is getting the engine from a car within the state, odds are the Mustang is from California as well.

My label's long been peeled off but I'm willing to bet it was Federal+California. The only MN12s I can think of that are actually 49 state specific are the 94/5 3.8 Thunderbirds, which were distrubuterless only in California

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 08-27-2013 at 11:37 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 08:18 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
I'd grab the engine harness/eec from a 96/7 MN12 and tune it for the PI motor and save the hassle of trying to adapt all the GT stuff.
Agreed entirely. That is the easiest route to take here.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in