Ground Question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to fkostyun
Ground Question

I have a ground question - where is the firewall to block ground at/located? I can't seem to locate on the car (Or in the Ford electrical manual)

If there isn't one from the factory, is it recommended to add one, and if so, where should it be mounted from and to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I'm not 100% sure on the 3.8, but on the V8 cars, it is on the passenger side under the wiper cowl area.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:31 PM
3rd Gear Poster

if there is no ground from the engine to the firewall, or any other places for that matter, it is a wise idea to add one. in fact EVEN if there is a ground, it is wise to add another one. you can pick up any good conductive spot where you get good metal to metal contact, and run to any spot on the chassis again where you get good metal to metal contact. what i have done on may cars is ground the battery cable to the block, like the factory did, and the run a ground from the battery terminal to the chassis, again like the factory did in many cases, as well as a ground strap from the back of the engine to the firewall. dont be afraid to have three or four ground straps either, remember of the top ten electrical problem causes, the first four are bad grounds.

my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through s comic vapor of invention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I'm not 100% sure on the 3.8, but on the V8 cars, it is on the passenger side under the wiper cowl area.
I don't remember seeing one in this area - I know I have the ground strap from body to hood area there.

I'm also curious if the ground strap might be missing (if anyone had a photo that would be great)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if there is no ground from the engine to the firewall, or any other places for that matter, it is a wise idea to add one. in fact EVEN if there is a ground, it is wise to add another one. you can pick up any good conductive spot where you get good metal to metal contact, and run to any spot on the chassis again where you get good metal to metal contact. what i have done on may cars is ground the battery cable to the block, like the factory did, and the run a ground from the battery terminal to the chassis, again like the factory did in many cases, as well as a ground strap from the back of the engine to the firewall. dont be afraid to have three or four ground straps either, remember of the top ten electrical problem causes, the first four are bad grounds.
Always good information rbohm.

I have a #2 from battery to header, #0 from battery to block. I will have to find a strap, or a couple of #0 lugs.

I was primarily curious on the "factory" way to see if it was even still there (or missing/damaged/etc)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
the 4.6 cars have it on the RH frame rail ahead of the shock tower. The other end is bolted to the motor mount stud. I don't see why it would be anywhere else on the 3.8 and I don't remember any MN12 having it grounded to the firewall.

-Matt
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
the 4.6 cars have it on the RH frame rail ahead of the shock tower. The other end is bolted to the motor mount stud. I don't see why it would be anywhere else on the 3.8 and I don't remember any MN12 having it grounded to the firewall.
That I did see that ground on the electrical diagrams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in