Fwd split ports - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Fwd split ports

Ok so this weekend is half price weekend at u pull it they jus got a 97 windstar can with the 3.8 split port I read the rwd and fwd heads have a difference in mounting one has a hole the other doesn't could I nab these heads and make them work on my 94 tbird with the 3.8 or no I would get the set for $30 bucks is why I'm asking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I've never heard about a difference in the heads from fwd to rwd, just differences in the block. You would need to get the whole top end, and would need to upgrade your injectors and get a tune, but yes you can make them work on your tbird bottom end.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 11:11 AM
3rd Gear Poster

the only differences between FWD and RWD engines is the blocks. the heads are the same.

my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through s comic vapor of invention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the only differences between FWD and RWD engines is the blocks. the heads are the same.
The intakes and accessory brackets vary by year and model, though. Windstar, F-150, and Mustang all had different upper intakes. Early and late Windstar are also different.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If you do go through with a swap, consider at least checking your bearing tolerances on your target block before reasssembly. I put 148 hours into my whole splitport swap and while my engine seemed OK before the mods (~70K mi of normal daily driving after a rebuild and two16 hour endurance races and two track days), you will want to wind up the engine to 5K or so to feel the splitport difference and that block simply didn't enjoy that. The bottom end blew up at the track after a mere 19 laps.

Even after finishing up the mustang splitport work, the windstar upgrade wasn't trivial to make work. I'd hate to see you put all that effort to have it blow up at an inopportune time.

If i was to go down the splitport path again, I would have pulled the engine entirely and rebuilt it before going racing.... like what I'm doing with the V8.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
The intakes and accessory brackets vary by year and model, though. Windstar, F-150, and Mustang all had different upper intakes. Early and late Windstar are also different.
given the amount of information in this section, i figured it wasnt necessary to point that part out. i guess i was wrong.

but i did say that the heads were the same, which they are, and that was what the OP was asking about.

my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through s comic vapor of invention.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Ok I'm gonna pick them up and yep gonna have the block tolerences checked the has only has 76xxx on it and has been maintained it's whole life(my great gma bout it new with 4 miles on it) so it should be ok but rather be safe then sorry
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 01:06 AM
3rd Gear Poster

my advice would be to go ahead and freshen up the bottom end since you are pulling the engine apart. new rings and bearings and perhaps a cam swap depending on what you are wanting from the engine.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
my advice would be to go ahead and freshen up the bottom end since you are pulling the engine apart. new rings and bearings and perhaps a cam swap depending on what you are wanting from the engine.
I agree. Even if you don't want to bore out the block:
* a set of rings will only run you ~$35 from rockauto
* Connecting rod Bearings ~$15
* Crank bearings $29-35

... plus the time to put it all together.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
given the amount of information in this section, i figured it wasnt necessary to point that part out. i guess i was wrong.

but i did say that the heads were the same, which they are, and that was what the OP was asking about.
His profile only shows 7 posts, so I wanted to nip any confusion in the bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
I agree. Even if you don't want to bore out the block:
* a set of rings will only run you ~$35 from rockauto
* Connecting rod Bearings ~$15
* Crank bearings $29-35

... plus the time to put it all together.
-g
If cylinder pressure is okay, I would even say keep the rings and just do bearings.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:30 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
His profile only shows 7 posts, so I wanted to nip any confusion in the bud.
not a problem, sometimes i forget that my learning curve is much steeper than others, and i can assume too much. besides i dont mind proper correction, that way i also learn things.

Quote:
If cylinder pressure is okay, I would even say keep the rings and just do bearings.
for the most part i agree with this, its not a bad choice, but i figure since he is there anyway, it doesnt take much effort to install new rings when installing new bearings at the same time. the only thing i would recommend is getting rings that are pregapped rather than file to fit to minimize downtime.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I understand what you guys are saying I'm not a master mechanic by any means but I've turned a few wrenches I have a 03 Blazer with 383 Stroker Vortec that I did did the swap on. With the bird not looking for the typical noob I want a stroker, supercharged, cammed, nitrous but still want to get 30mpg but I have a $500 budget. Just new to the car, the reason I don't have many post over the last couple months is I've just been reading threw the forums to become a little more knowledgeable about the car.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public Disturbance View Post
I understand what you guys are saying I'm not a master mechanic by any means but I've turned a few wrenches I have a 03 Blazer with 383 Stroker Vortec that I did did the swap on. With the bird not looking for the typical noob I want a stroker, supercharged, cammed, nitrous but still want to get 30mpg but I have a $500 budget. Just new to the car, the reason I don't have many post over the last couple months is I've just been reading threw the forums to become a little more knowledgeable about the car.
i know where you are coming from. i also read through forums before i decide to join. i also go one step further though, and when i find something that interests me, i download it so i an read it over again at my leisure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in