3.8 N/A Block Heater (Frost Plug) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

3.8 N/A Block Heater (Frost Plug)

Hi, this is my first post, I have an 89 Cougar LS 3.8 n/a and am thinking about installing a block heater since it's getting so cold this year in Iowa, projected at -50 windchill Monday. I'm aware of most of the different types but I was thinking the frost plug type would be the most worry free. So my question is has anyone done this on a 3.8? Did you run into any problems and how much space is there to work in? Which frost plug is the best one to install it in and what's the easiest access? If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
All of the performance books for these cars say to remove them, as they tend to blow out.

That said, the mark engine I bought had it in the drivers' side rearmost plug on the block.

It was wasted when I removed it; rusted almost thru.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
All of the performance books for these cars say to remove them, as they tend to blow out.

That said, the mark engine I bought had it in the drivers' side rearmost plug on the block.

Thanks for the response, I know a lot of guys deal with those plugs with the engine on a stand but I'm wondering how easy it would be with the engine still in the car. I assume they're easier to get at from the bottom but not sure. Has anyone tried removing one with the engine in the car? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd look into one of those that are inserted in to the radiator or heater house if you aren't going to remove the block.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

I've thought about the other types but I really like the idea of a block heater, I wouldn't think it would be too hard as long as he plug is fairly easy to get at. Does anyone know which plug is best to have a heater in or which one they came with from the factory? I haven't been under the car yet to see about accessibility, just trying to see if anyone else here had done it, I couldn't find anything searching.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post

I know you said the drivers side rear plug but didn't know if it would be the same on the 3.8 as the v8.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 AM
̇

Garage
3.8L Block Heater Diagram

Ford offered a Block Heater Kit for the 3.8L MN12..

The Ford Part Number is: (F1SZ-6D008-A) or (F1SZ6D008A)

This includes everything necesarry to install a Block Heater on your MN12..

In fact..Here's a link to one for sale right now-->> MN12 Block Heater Kit

All you do is remove the Driver Side Core Plug towards the rear of the engine block (under the exhaust manifold)..

In the center of the Block Heater "Core Plug" is a Bolt..This is what's known as a Toggle Bolt

As you tighten the bolt..The Block Heater "Core Plug" is pulled up against the Engine Block wall..

The Toggle Bolt is used in conjunction with an O-Ring to keep a water tight seal..

Here's a diagram that should help you locate things:
3.8L Block Heater Diagram.JPG

I recommend unplugging the wire harness from the Block Heater "Core Plug" socket before you start driving around..

That way you don't risk melting the wire harness on the hot exhaust system..

Good Luck!

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 07-17-2017 at 06:02 AM. Reason: update pic..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Awesome thanks! If I get it figured out Ill let you guys know, thanks for all your help!

Regards,
Alex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in