Fuel pump recommendations? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Skype™ to OkieHog
Fuel pump recommendations?

I put a pressure guage on my 89 XR7 SC Cat today, and I it registered Zero, zilch, NADA, pressure!

Was wondering what fuel pump is a good replacement item. I am not gonna cheap it out. I want something that will last and do a good job, cause it appears that the replacement is not a pleasant task!

I am not doing any crazy mods on this car by the way. Maybe some underdrives, and maybe a chip, but nothing more.

So, what pump do you guys recommend? O'Reilly's has a life time warranty, Premier pump for $73.00 or so, my price.

2-68 S-Code Mustang Fastback, 4spds
67 Deluxe, S-Code, 4spd coupe-loaded
93 Teal Cobra
89 IROC Z- 55K actual Miles-Sold
89 XR-7, SC, 5spd, 65K actual miles
and some others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Everyone has a different opinion on which pump to buy for their car. When mine went out, I bought the Precision Fuel Pump from O'Reilly (having worked there at the time) and it works smoothly. It feeds my engine enough to keep it running. BTW, that is with a Split Port Swap. I investigated for a time which pump would deliver the amount of fuel necessary, and shortly after seeing how many gallons per hour the pump would deliver, along with the pressure at which it pumps, my conclusion was that I would be safe with my engine unless I were driving at 180 mph, much beyond what I usually drive. Just don't go for a cheap pump...they don't last long!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I was sorta thinking of the O'Rielly Precision pump. Lifetime warranty and that is good. I would definitely NOT install one of those cheapo pumps. Now considering how difficult it is to change one!

93 Teal Cobra
and some others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM

I was afraid to do mine, but luckily a friend has a lift. With a lift, the daunting task seems a little bit better...not easy, but better. Hindsight shows that I could have done a few things the "easy"way first that didn't seem as such. Withough a lift, I just wish you luck.

Drop the exhaust from the manifold back, unbolting the whole rear trans support with the exhaust (saves time later), then the tank straps, and then drop it down keeping an eye on the hoses that need to be disconnected. There was a heat shield I believe that either should be removed or maneuvered around, then your free. Also, buy a new o-ring and lock ring, filter and you should be set. A bit of lubricant will make the exhaust slide into the hangers with ease upon reassebly and then mount the transmission back. Also, check your u-joints while they are exposed. The tank needs to be dropped for that as well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Wakko, I was afraid this was not gonna be a cake walk! I just did an 89 Camaro, though, so it can't be any worse than that nightmare! ( I officially hate Chebby after changing that fuel pump!!)

Next question: Should I be able to hear the fuel pump engage fairly well? I cannot hear my pump even a little bit. Total silence. I thought perhaps the reset button needed to be done, but when I checked it, the button was not raised. I went ahead and pushed it down, but heard nothing, and, still not a sound from the pump. I am thinking more and more that the pump is the real culprit.

93 Teal Cobra
and some others!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in