Inline Power Steering Filter - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Lightbulb Inline Power Steering Filter

As many of us 3.8 guys know, the power steering whine during the turning of the wheel gets old quickly. Since I'm one of those guys, my approach to solve this would be to drain and refill the fluid, then install the correct sized filter on the return line. These "inline" filters are supposed to use dense media to filter out tiny particles and debris in the fluid, as well as having a magnet that captures metal shavings. I believe the name of the filter manufacturer is Magnafine. Apparently they do similar things for transmission lines as well. Anyways, after leaving the magnetic filter on for a couple of days I'll remove it and clean the filter out, do this a couple more times until it comes back clean, then add a bottle of Ford's friction modifier (intended for LSD rear ends) to aid the lubrication ability of the fluid.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I had the original pump at one point which whined, and my replacement is no different. Doing a GM Saginaw pump swap seems a little too much.

1993 Thunderbird LX. 3.8L with Underdrive Pulleys, Ford Racing Limited-Slip Differential, Intake & Dual Exhaust, and I like to run advanced timing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I have one of those on my list to buy. What I would do is flush out the old fluid and use Mercon V trans fluid. That will help with the noise as well. I don't know about the modifier. My instinct is to say no on that, just use Mercon V.

BTW, you can get that filter online at advance with a pretty decent discount code found on google. Pay online, go pick it up. -> LINK

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Nice, and good to know that the Mercon V will help. Is the size listed (3/8") correct? And what do you recommend using to flush out the old, and how

1993 Thunderbird LX. 3.8L with Underdrive Pulleys, Ford Racing Limited-Slip Differential, Intake & Dual Exhaust, and I like to run advanced timing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 PM
5th Gear Poster

Mercon V is a must in our power steering systems. That cheap universal power steering fluid is garbage.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Okay, so Mercon V it is. I've always thought we were supposed to pour in type F auto trans fluid.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
This is how I flush a P/S system (you will need a second person):

Raise vehicle to get front wheels off the ground.
Disconnect the return hose from the bottom of the P/S reservoir.
Plug the return barb on the reservoir (vac plug works good).
Place open end of return line into empty container.
Fill reservoir with Mercon V.
Start the engine and steer lock to lock steadily while keeping the reservoir full of Mercon V.
Continue until the fluid coming out of the open return line is clean bright red.
Turn off engine.
Replace return line onto reservoir.
Fill with fluid.
Start the engine and turn lock to lock steadily until fluid level is static. (This will work the air out).
Lower car.
Done.

You can keep the car on the ground if you want. It's easier to get to everything if it's up though. YMMV

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
The dreaded whine comes from the way the pumps are designed. I attended an acdelco class on power steering systems. One of their main points was: vacuum
Bleed the ps system and you can have quiet operation of these pumps. They said a lot are returned and wind up testing just fine.

It works great, btw. Problem is that there can be another leak somewhere in the system that allows air to enter when under vacuum.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in