mystery car part photo , please help ID - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

mystery car part photo , please help ID

95 thunderbird

the black parts are rubber and maybe connect to something. the white part has letters "ENG" on it. its from passenger side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
EVAP control solenoid, goes under the fender, below the battery to the EVAP canister .. routed to the hard metal line that comes up the shock tower on the passenger side.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

amazing you knew that, i found one end of what i think is the "hard metal line" ad its attached to the fender at one point it looks like.

would this part being broke effect performance in anyway as described in my other thread?
>http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=147873

here, or if you had any ideas id really appreciate the input

ty
again

was doing some reading and some people report similar problems when this part goes bad and disabling it seems to help, is there a way to test this?

Last edited by blinky99; 07-31-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 05:36 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
If it was just dangling like that, definitely. The other end of it is connected directly to the intake manifold, which means you have a vacuum leak. Mike Shumard nailed it in his post in that thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shumard View Post
If it was hit on Pass side,maybe the canister and Vac lines were damaged?

-Matt
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yeah, plug up the vacuum line to get rid of the vacuum leak and see if it runs better.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Yeah, plug up the vacuum line to get rid of the vacuum leak and see if it runs better.
i was hit on the driver side though.. And by canister is he referring to #6 in the diagram?

which specific vac lines do i plug? the two at the top of the item shown in the photo?
the only line i can find is by the front fender on the passenger side.

this is a metal line i found near passenger side front bumper i was mentioning. Which is #2 according to diagram ? with #3 being the bumper

Last edited by blinky99; 07-31-2014 at 06:22 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky99 View Post
i was hit on the driver side though.. And by canister is he referring to #6 in the diagram?

which specific vac lines do i plug? the two at the top of the item shown in the photo?

[/IMG]

this is a metal line i found near passenger side front bumper i was mentioning. Which is #2 according to diagram ? with #3 being the bumper
Yes, Canister is #6 ... your broken lines are caused by dry rot from age, not from an impact although an imptact could have shook them loose if they were barely staying together.

The plastic line is attached to the metal line #9 in one photo, #10 in another. Plug it off at #11 or #1 in View Z
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Yes, Canister is #6 ... your broken lines are caused by dry rot from age, not from an impact.

The plastic line is attached to the metal line #9 in one photo, #10 in another. Plug it off at #11 or #1 in View Z
just so i know orientation what i have in my hand is infact #2? and #11/#1 are on top of the engine?

what should it plug it off with? Do i need to do anything with the T shaped item with the rubber dry rot ?

this is the male connector [circled in red] to the hose that is broken that leads to #2 in the diagram [ think the diagram is of a V8 btw]

i put a tree branch to fit the hole after taking off the hose, while the car idles better in park, i still have the same stumbling with going from a stop to acceleration problem.

Last edited by blinky99; 07-31-2014 at 07:10 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

evap canister one hose missing? or is it just used to out put air?

t shaped hose seems to be the evap canister purge valve [#4 in diagram]
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
just so i know orientation what i have in my hand is infact #2? and #11/#1 are on top of the engine?

what should it plug it off with? Do i need to do anything with the T shaped item with the rubber dry rot ?

this is the male connector [circled in red] to the hose that is broken that leads to #2 in the diagram [ think the diagram is of a V8 btw]

i put a tree branch to fit the hole after taking off the hose, while the car idles better in park, i still have the same stumbling with going from a stop to acceleration problem.
Yeah .. yours will be slightly different from the diagram since its a V6 .. if the hose from the metal line goes to that T you are pointing at, yes .. plug it up there ( not with a stick, get a rubber cap of some type that fits snugly over it .. ) .. or repair the line in question, get a new piece of rubber hose, make sure the rubber is good from that T, all the way back down to under the fender to the canister. You'll want to install the purge valve in-line between the plastic hose and the canister with new hose. Make sure where the metal line on the inner fender to the plastic hose to the canister has a good piece of rubber hose between them, replace the hose while you are at it.

The extra port on the T on top of the canister is present on some cars, not all. It doesnt go to anything so dont worry about it. The canister vent is the circle part on top.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

TY again, ill try some other snug fit, but just with the stick the hesitation with acceleration is still there, leaving me to wonder if this is the root of the problem? If not do you have any ideas?

as of now im not motivated to put much time or money into fixing it unless i can solve that issue, even then i dont think itll last through another winter. right now its just a day time daily driver.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
TY again, ill try some other snug fit, but just with the stick the hesitation with acceleration is still there, leaving me to wonder if this is the root of the problem? If not do you have any ideas?

as of now im not motivated to put much time or money into fixing it unless i can solve that issue, even then i dont think itll last through another winter. right now its just a day time daily driver.
Back to the basics .. check for any vacuum leaks with a smoke test - even a cigarette or a cigar will work if you dont want to spend much time or money, just keep blowing smoke into the vacuum lines going to the engine and see if smoke comes out anywhere else. If no vacuum leaks are present, do a compression test or leakdown test on the engine.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Back to the basics .. check for any vacuum leaks with a smoke test - even a cigarette or a cigar will work if you dont want to spend much time or money, just keep blowing smoke into the vacuum lines going to the engine and see if smoke comes out anywhere else. If no vacuum leaks are present, do a compression test or leakdown test on the engine.

would i just put the smoke in say where i had the branch[ the first photo with red circle] ? and just let the engine run, im not a smoker ironically
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
would i just put the smoke in say where i had the branch[ the first photo with red circle] ? and just let the engine run, im not a smoker ironically
Yes, and leave the engine Off .. the nice thing about cigars is that you dont really inhale them anyways and you get tons of smoke.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

so start car
blow some smoke in port hole
turn car off?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 10:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
so start car
blow some smoke in port hole
turn car off?
No, leave the engine off, blow smoke into hole. Look for leaks.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ty for the video ill be trying that, I also posted in his ask a question forum guy seems very smart.

one other mystery wire/cable that seems cut/torn goes to back/under the engine far as i can tell

Last edited by blinky99; 08-01-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 04:34 PM

That cable looks like the flat, braided cable which is used as an engine ground. It connects the frame to the passenger side engine mount on the block, if that is what it is.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

fixed it

ok evap purge line and cansiter, and hoses are all connected acceleration problem is still there

Last edited by blinky99; 08-08-2014 at 06:47 PM.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

also cleaned all spark plugs except one that i couldn't [most front one on passenger side] get to,checked gas lines for the "ticking noise" and all that i checked had it. problem with acceleration still persists.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

bought a new PCV valve, seems to hesitate while accelerating from a stop less often, but problem still persists im really at a loss as to what to fix or look at next..

also found one disconnected 3 socket line that goes into the power distributor box that doesnt connect to anything not sure what it is...

another part ive been reading on symptons is the throttle position sensor being bad perhaps?

what causes the car to hesitate when the gas pedal is floored quickly from a dead stop, vs accelerating sowly from a stop? whats going on thats different to cause the issue?

Last edited by blinky99; 08-13-2014 at 11:50 PM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:

Your not the only one with a misplaced hose. My pcv valve has 2 holes. Top hole line runs straight bxk on firewall to this very small device that has 2 other lines n it n nounted or "push pinned " into firewall. Bottom hose runs to the intake emission t.

So that hard line beside strut tower brace is suppise to run to the pcv..if so wat should i do with the round devi e that has the 2 tiny lines running into it on the firewall.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
EVAP control solenoid, goes under the fender, below the battery to the EVAP canister .. routed to the hard metal line that comes up the shock tower on the passenger side.
Ok ive traced it from beneath thr battery, to the passenger side by the canister snd noe up the hardline. I want to install a vacuum line on the hardline but i have no idea where the hose should fo once i connect it. Someone said pcv but my pcv has 2 holes and they already have lines on them i ran..
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Thunder View Post
Ok ive traced it from beneath thr battery, to the passenger side by the canister snd noe up the hardline. I want to install a vacuum line on the hardline but i have no idea where the hose should fo once i connect it. Someone said pcv but my pcv has 2 holes and they already have lines on them i ran..

The picture you posted above shows the hard line going to the PCV. You need to connect the vacuum hoses according to the vacuum diagram on your radiator support. If it has two lines off the PCV it will show up on the sticker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in