Mystery coolant or water leak below passenger fender? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Mystery coolant or water leak below passenger fender?

A few weeks back I did the headgaskets on my t-bird. It runs perfectly and the temp stays in the correct range, no problems there.

However, I have a feeling that the heatercore might be bad or something related to it, which might have contributed to the original headgaskets failing on this bird earlier this year (blew in January, fixed in March).

On Saturday, I turned the defroster on and it immediately reeked of coolant within a few minutes of driving. I noticed after parking it at home after work, there was a fairly big spot of what appeared to be a water/coolant mix on the ground below. It leaves a tiny, quarter-size spot now but I haven't used the heater. I did notice a faint coolant smell once before using the heater a few days earlier as well.

It's not leaking coolant visibly in the engine bay and the coolant reservior is around the full hot mark but it noticeably dipped once the heater was used. The thing that doesn't make sense is shouldn't it leak onto the passenger side floor? I had two fords with bad heater cores in the past, both leaked onto the passenger side floor but mine is dry?

Also, if the heater core is bad, is there an easy way to bypass it? I don't really need heat now and I'm sure it's nothing short of a PITA to replace on this car similar to the old panther-platform grand marquis I paid someone to do years ago. I have another vehicle as well, a 2006 Jeep Wrangler (summer/spring/winter toy) so heat in the winter won't be a problem if worse comes to worse or until I get time/money to replace the core.

Thanks for your help and your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Kind of slapped together

Well, if the leak is slow enough, it can drain out the A/C drain pipe. That's what my Dakota is doing right now.

As to bypass - not sure how easy, but yes, you can. I would suggest a right-angle brass fitting setup or even a "U" shaped setup, disconnect both hoses from the heater core and reconnect to the bypass assembly.

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Found the leak, when the heater is on, the S-Shaped heater hose on the passenger side that connects to the metal heater pipe tubing mounted above the passenger side valve cover drips onto the passenger side catalytic converter.

It looks like the hose is cheap but I couldn't tell which one it is on rock auto as it lists several for connecting to the heater pipe? This one connects to the heater pipe mounted on the bracket that's bolted onto the passenger exhaust manifold and the heater hose has a distinct downward bend with which appears a heatshield covering the middle section of it.

Any help would be appreciated if anyone knows the specific part number for it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in