Help! TV Pressure cable will NOT stay on throttle body bracket! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Help! TV Pressure cable will NOT stay on throttle body bracket!

I've been having this issue for awhile, the TV cable will not stay connected to the throttle linkage arm at all. Their is a small tab on the side of cable adjuster to supposedly lock it into the linkage arm (looks like a small bump on the tv adjuster block) but if you move throttle arm or press the gas in the vehicle, it'll pop right off the linkage arm. I know if I drive it with it off, it'll be instant death for the 24 year old transmission in this car.

I know this is the cause of the poor shifting (it holds 2nd until 40mph which is annoying) because the only way I was able to get it to stay is to have a ziptie through the small hole at the bottom of the arm to hold it on. This restricts the linkage and the throttle body as it cannot open all the way. It works to drive it but the TV pressure is too high (won't go into 3rd smoothly until 40-45mph, od is 65mph) since the cable is too tight and it's incredibly annoying to drive. All the roads are 35mph where I live so it either slams into 3rd when I take my foot off the gas or holds 2nd at 35mph.

I noticed the hole where I ran the zip tie through looks like it can support a bushing but both the Ford dealer and Napa say no such bushing exists for this car? The block adjuster has a small arm that looks like it should go into a bushing. I also tried pepboys universal bushings, they do not fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 01:45 PM
5th Gear Poster

My throttle used to stick when I went wide open. Then I noticed the TV cable was loose. There's supposed to be a grommet to fit the hole in the linkage and the TV cable. The ones I found did not fit from RockAuto. My mechanic used a custom setup with an Eclip when the transmission was overhauled.

I used bailing wire as a short term fix between my discovery and the tranny overhaul.

I read here an experienced transmission shop will be able to get the parts you need. That may be cheaper than what I tried.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 11:38 PM

Dorman part 14041 has an assortment of bushings that should have the one you need. It should be available at most parts stores.

1993 Thunderbird
3.8 engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weskan View Post
Dorman part 14041 has an assortment of bushings that should have the one you need. It should be available at most parts stores.
Tried that exact bushing kit, none of the bushings fit in the throttle body bracket hole.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 PM

Sounds like you might need a new tv cable if you are talking about where the outer sheath is held.

1993 Thunderbird
3.8 engine
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:33 PM

This is what mine looks like at the bracket.

1993 Thunderbird
3.8 engine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
This is what mine looks like at the bracket.

That part is fine, there is another section at the very end of the cable that connects to the end of the throttle body linkage arm, which controls the opening/closing of the throttle blade. It's where the adjustment tab is on the cable. If it's not hooked up tight, the trans shifts strange and shudders.

There are two holes on the throttle body blade arm facing the front of the engine, one right below the clip holding in the throttle return spring and then a larger hole below that.

The TV cable end I have has two male connectors on it, one small bump and one longer piece that would pop into a grommet normally like my grand marquis had with an AOD transmission. The small bump end fits in the small hole right below the throttle return spring but "pops out" as soon as the throttle is opened.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 PM

I still think you might need a new cable. Here is what mine looks like.

1993 Thunderbird
3.8 engine
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
I still think you might need a new cable. Here is what mine looks like.

Yep that's the bushing I was missing (the white/vanilla one plugged into the tv cable in pictures 2 & 3), I only had it connected by that little knob/knotch in the small hole right above where your tv cable is connected (picture 1) with a zip tie locking it in place.

I was able to get the bushing from my local Ford dealer much to my surprise (thought it would be discontinued), it fits perfectly and the TV cable is set up properly now! Thanks again for your help, the pics made sense of how the TV cable needed to be set up as it was way off before, it shifts great and smooth now.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:25 PM

That is the bushing that is supposed to be in the Dorman kit I referenced. That is where I got mine. I'll have to double check the number next time I'm at the parts store. Glad you got it fixed.

1993 Thunderbird
3.8 engine
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 08:50 PM
PostWhore

There is an old TSB that lists a brass replacement for that grommet, as the nylon piece was prone to wear and let the cable pop off. The part number for the brass one is F3SZ 7H303 B, it is still available too.

cheers
Ed

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in