Anti-Slosh Module on 91 Base Gauges? Gas gauge keeps going past full - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Gas Gauge Keeps Going Past Full - Cleaned Anti-Slosh Chip & It Did Not Fix it

I have a 91 3.8 base thunderbird so it's just the basic speedo, temp, and gas gauge set up. Yesterday the gas gauge randomly started to go past full (1/8-1/4 past full) but it only has about a half-tank of gas. I pulled the cluster today, cleaned the anti-slosh chip and made sure it was locked in but it didn't fix the issue.

It constantly goes past the full mark anytime you turn the key to the on position even before the engine is started. Is there anything else I can check that's simple that's cheap (really trying to avoid messing with the sender, I would have to pay a shop to do it as it's too dangerous to do on the street)? Maybe the gauge itself is bad? It was making an odd noise about 2 weeks back but it didn't affect the operation of the gauge.

Thanks for your time and your help.

Last edited by 06jeep; 06-28-2015 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Added information, shortened post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 01:03 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
Most of these cars will do that, there is no fix. Mine will start reading accurate at 3/4
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg1988 View Post
Most of these cars will do that, there is no fix. Mine will start reading accurate at 3/4
I think your thinking of when you fill it up, it'll read near the full mark for 70-90 miles then start reading accurately right around 3/4s of a tank. I'm used to that as it's done that before but it reads above full all the time now since Saturday. I haven't put any gas in it either and about 230 miles have been traveled on this tank, mostly city/highway mixed driving so it's likely around 20-22mpg average. All highway it does 24-27mpg depending on the speeds/grade.

There's definitely less than a half of tank of gas in it now (probably close to a 1/4 left based on the miles traveled) and it was reading correctly at slightly above the half line until a hard stop in the pouring rain (didn't lock up the tires but it was a hard stop to avoid someone pulling out without looking) on Saturday. Hasn't read correctly since then, it'll go straight to above the full line as soon as the fuel pump kicks on or soon as you start the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 05:46 PM
5th Gear Poster

I would put injector cleaner into it, cannot hurt
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Kind of slapped together

After the injector cleaner, if that doesn't help any, I'd swap that anti-slosh board. Yes, they can fail, and since they are what actually drives the fuel gauge ...

Your OTHER choice is to grab a multi meter, and check the resistance to ground of the wire from the sending unit, or at least the voltage across it. The factory service manual has you checking the resistance to see if it's in range.

No, I don't have my book open in front of me, and my PDF version isn't reinstalled on my "new" system either, or I'd give you the wire color and the range you should see.

What you're doing with that is, if it's in the middle of the range for a tank of gas, and the gauge is full high, the problem is the anti-slosh board or the gauge (luckily, you can swap just the gauge out of a base cluster). If, however, it's at the full-tank mark, then it's the sending unit or the wiring to the sending unit bad.

There's always the possibility that the float is "stuck". I had to repair the sending unit on my Dakota pickup, and as a result of my repair, when it gets down low enough to tag the "Low Fuel" light, it tends to stick there until I refill the tank.

RwP

Fuelly
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Injector cleaner and 93 octane fixed it! I filled the tank and it works fine now. Thanks for all the help, I definitely might buy a set of base gauges as a backup in the future.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06jeep View Post
Injector cleaner and 93 octane fixed it! I filled the tank and it works fine now. Thanks for all the help, I definitely might buy a set of base gauges as a backup in the future.

The octane does not make any difference. Unless it is Shell Premium, I've looked into it and that has the most PPM of injector cleaner.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg1988 View Post
The octane does not make any difference. Unless it is Shell Premium, I've looked into it and that has the most PPM of injector cleaner.
More than Chevron or Texaco? I'm impressed.

Not that it matters much - I run mostly Shell 87 octane in the Cougar, and 89 octane (due to running 14* BTDC timing on it) in the Dakota.

RwP

Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in