starting issue - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

starting issue

I have a 1992 t bird 3.8 N/A I am having a starting issue with. When I first turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump run, I can let the starter crank for a long time but the car will not Start. But as soon as I let off the key and turn it again the car will start. I thought maybe the pump wasn't getting enough fuel up front, so I tried just turning the key till I can hear the pump 4 or 5 times. Car still won't start till I crank it a second time. I can start the car, shut it off and try to start it again a few min later an it's the same thing.
Car does not have factory anti theft, I pulled the aftermarket alarm out in case it was the cause, but no change.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Not sure how yours is setup as a 92, but it could be the fuel pump going bad, or even the MAF sensor, if the MAF sensor is bad it can cause difficult starting. Could also be poor fuel flow, when is the last time you checked/changed your fuel filter?

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Update***. Still having issues. I ended up replacing the whole distributor, it was almost as cheap, and is easier then replacing the sensor, and it was easier to get a hold of. Also did plugs and wires. Tested spark and it has good spark from the coil and at the plugs. So I figured must be fuel issue, had pressure and volume tested, it looks good as well. Pretty much holds 40 psi always. Power to injectors was tested with a light. On crank it's lighting up very dull with the occasional brighter flash, once it fires it flashes bright. It seems like for some reason the injectors are not getting full power (ground) during crank. Mechanic is going to test output at the pcm and see if that's the same right there. Maybe a bad pcm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Looks like it's fixed. Turns out the starter was just drawing too much current, because of that, there wasn't enough engine ground left to get full power to injectors to get a proper spray. Replaced the starter and all is good now. Never suspected the starter, it was turning quickly and had no signs of being a problem....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in