A/C Compressor Cycling - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

A/C Compressor Cycling

Hello all. I have noticed on my '97 T-Bird 3.8 liter that the compressor on the A/C cycles on and off about every ten seconds. This happens with the air selector on the dash set to Panel/Floor. I was just curious if this was normal to the car or is there something that I need to attend too? I know, from what I've read, that it's supposed to cycle some and won't cycle in the floor or panel position but this every ten seconds seems excessive.

I've read that if it is low on refrigerant it can cause it to cycle off and on but would this be the case without the air conditioning even on?

Thank you for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 05:32 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsworth View Post
Hello all. I have noticed on my '97 T-Bird 3.8 liter that the compressor on the A/C cycles on and off about every ten seconds. This happens with the air selector on the dash set to Panel/Floor. I was just curious if this was normal to the car or is there something that I need to attend too? I know, from what I've read, that it's supposed to cycle some and won't cycle in the floor or panel position but this every ten seconds seems excessive.

I've read that if it is low on refrigerant it can cause it to cycle off and on but would this be the case without the air conditioning even on?

Thank you for any info!
Good thread to check out:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=143859
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I had read that thread before but it didn't really address what I was looking for which is, is it normal for it to cycle off and on as frequently as mine does which is approximately every ten seconds.

It sounds like it should come off and on but my concern is mine is doing it more often than it should and I don't want to do any damage to it if that is the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:44 AM
PostWhore

I noticed the same thing on my new 97 T-Bird. I kept hearing a noise while we were cruising slowly, so I popped the hood and saw that it cycled on and off constantly when set to panel/floor. The A/C seems to work fine otherwise.

Set it to regular A/C and see if the frequency changes. It probably will.

I noticed my 95 seemed to cycle on and off a lot when I had the hood open, even after adding a little Freon. The A/C works fine on that car too, except for occasionally having to add Freon.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I did notice a bit of a difference in the frequency of it. I am thinking that it must have been a bit low on freon. I had it recharged and it seems to have helped with the number of times the compressor kicked on and off. I am pretty sure that was the problem with it. At least I hope so.

Thank you for your help!

Tags
a/c , compressor , cycling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in