Timing Cover Problems - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jco1385

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Timing Cover Problems

So, I did something you aren't supposed to do. I bought a car that had work started, but never finished.

I got a good price on a relatively low mile 97 Cougar. The owner had loaned it to his cousin who attempted to replace the water pump gasket. He pulled it apart and walked away.

Upon further inspection, I realized it was the timing cover gasket that was leaking. The bolts were seized to the cover so badly that I had to break it into pieces to get it off and the bolts out.

Long story short, I need new studs. I found a cover, but the two biggest studs are apparently made of unobtainium. I'm in a bind because I need this back together by Tuesday. Any ideas on where to find these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 06:16 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahawg View Post
So, I did something you aren't supposed to do. I bought a car that had work started, but never finished.

I got a good price on a relatively low mile 97 Cougar. The owner had loaned it to his cousin who attempted to replace the water pump gasket. He pulled it apart and walked away.

Upon further inspection, I realized it was the timing cover gasket that was leaking. The bolts were seized to the cover so badly that I had to break it into pieces to get it off and the bolts out.

Long story short, I need new studs. I found a cover, but the two biggest studs are apparently made of unobtainium. I'm in a bind because I need this back together by Tuesday. Any ideas on where to find these things?
Me, personally, I'd start with the guy that sold you the front cover.

From 96, they're the same bolt thru 09, at least with the romeo block.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I bought it online from an auto recycler in Iowa. I doubt he even remembers the order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
post a pic of what your looking for .if I have it ,you can have it ... shipping not included lol

drive fast!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll snap some pics when I get home. It doesn't help I'm working all weekend and only have nights to work on the thing. I may have an idea, but I've got to do some double checking on the threads.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Kind of slapped together

You may have to remove the old studs; use a depth caliper to find out how far they go into the block; measure the thickness of the timing chain cover there; figure out how much to allow for washers and nuts; and buy generic studs to replace.

Do NOT buy stainless!

RwP

Fuelly
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1788_1502598797385.JPG (795.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1786_1502598829220.JPG (903.4 KB, 6 views)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Me, personally, I'd start with the guy that sold you the front cover.

From 96, they're the same bolt thru 09, at least with the romeo block.
We are talking 3.8 not 4.6

I am almost certain I have extra studs. I'll look. You can grab them from any RWD (maybe FWD?) 3.8/3.9/4.2 vehicle if you have a junkyard nearby.

Make sure to RTV the studs that go thru the water jacket.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I went by a dealership earlier. They had to order them, but they'll be here tomorrow morning. For $16.xx a piece, they should be installing themselves, lol.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got everything back together, but I'm still leaking coolant like crazy. This is the first time running the car since I got it. The engine seems strong and sounds good. The trans shifts (think I'll change the filter and fluid anyway though).

New problem though:
After topping off the fluids and taking a test drive, the car won't start again.

It was flashing theft from the beginning. It restarted the first several times (gas station, car wash, and autozone), but is now stuck in a Walmart parking lot. The alarm is going off as well (I pulled the relay when I left it there to shut it off). It doesn't have keyless or a transponder key. I'm not sure where to go from here.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:38 PM
5th Gear Poster

Almost sounds like PATS but I don't think the 97's had PATS which is anti-theft that disables the engine. That would only be a concern if the ECU was different from what was originally in the car....but that's not the case so I think maybe there's an additional aftermarket alarm system on it that disables the ignition, I'd find it and remove it.

Where exactly are you leaking coolant? From the water pump area?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got the alarm thing sorted. I just unplugged the control box in the trunk. I can't really tell where the leak is, but it's really bad. I must have missed a bolt that needed rtv sealant or something. I did notice a crack in the water pump housing. It's not leaking close to that, but I'll be replacing it anyway. Hopefully that will do it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got the new pump on and I think that fixed it. I noticed something unplugged toward the passenger side of the firewall. Any idea where it goes? I didn't see anywhere it could go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1816_1503453564940.JPG (465.0 KB, 4 views)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
That's the temp sensor wire for a car with SATC (Semi Automatic Temp Control). If your car doesn't have it then it goes to nothing.
Grog6 likes this.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco1385 View Post
That's the temp sensor wire for a car with SATC (Semi Automatic Temp Control). If your car doesn't have it then it goes to nothing.
Ok. I was thinking it might be the reason my temp gauge doesn't work.

Update:
While the leak from the front of the engine has been fixed, I found another one. It looks like a hole in a freeze plug. It's on the bottom of the block on the passenger side, close to the transmission. I'm not sure if it can be fixed without pulling the engine. ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in