Valve cover gaskets leaking - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Valve cover gaskets leaking

Hi all,
I got a clean bill of health on the Cougar. I was about to get rid of it cause I could not find my starting issue. The tech I took it too found where the previous owner had an alarm system removed and did a crappy job at splicing the link under the steering column when they removed the wiring for the alarm system. The car starts every time now.

But he found that my newly installed valve cover gaskets (Felpro rubber) are leaking. He verified the bolts are in tight, but saw a gap in the back corner of the valve covers. We talked about it and said that what may have happened is the grommets in the valve cover that do not come with the gasket kit have shrunk leaving a gap between the gasket and the cover and the heads.

Before I do the work to replace the grommets and new valve cover gaskets, has anyone else had this issue on these V6's and what did you do to fix the issue?

Thanks!

1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 200k!
1994 Mercoury Cougar XR7 - 150k and still going.

I've had too many other cars to mention...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I've never had that happen, but I have had the gaskets themselves come out of place as I was installing the cover, and not noticed until everything was tightened down and saw it still leaking. Unfortunatlely you probably need another set of new gaskets at this point since once they are tightened down with it out of place, it deforms the gasket and you aren't likely to be able to get it to seal again.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks Mike for the info. That is very possible and very probable. I may have some gaskets I had not used sitting around, I will look. Otherwise, I can get them here in a few days and replace them.

I tried to find the grommets for the covers and was not able to find them. The only thing I found is the gasket set that comes with the grommets, but they do not look like the OEM ones that came with the covers.

One thing the tech said is if the bolts can't go down any further, (set depth of threaded hole) would be to add washers or cut the bolt size some so it can clamp down on the cover more before reaching the bottom of the threaded hole.

We will see what I find when I pull the drivers side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If this is on your 94, then that trick won't work because there is actually a metal spacer inside the grommets that the bolt goes through, and that is what limits the clamping force. I would get the kit that has the new gaskets and the grommets, and re-do it paying extra attention to make sure the gasket stays seated in the groove in the valve cover, and you should be fine.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Found my grommets from a set a while back and a set of gaskets that are still in good shape.

Can't you use some Lucas Assembly Lube to help hold the gasket into the cover so it won't lose it's place when you turn the cover right-side up an install it?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:26 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by white lincoln View Post
Found my grommets from a set a while back and a set of gaskets that are still in good shape.

Can't you use some Lucas Assembly Lube to help hold the gasket into the cover so it won't lose it's place when you turn the cover right-side up an install it?
What Felpro recommends on some of those (specifically, the kit for my 1988 Dakota 3.9 OHV motor), is to use two long screws, or two long studs.

I got the alignment close, then slipped the long screws through and aligned it all up.

I then finger installed the other bolts; I then removed the long ones and put the proper ones.

I then did the tightening in the proper pattern.

Don't think it fixed my leak on the Dakota; that may be valve cover or even the head bad (over 370,000 miles on original build ... yah, it's worn.)

RwP

Fuelly
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks Ralph, I appreciate the feedback.

Funny thing is, I COULD SWEAR I HAD THE GASKET IN PERFECT!!!! Argh... never fails to forget or miss a step doing something.

Back to the drawing board.. .lol

Will let you all know this weekend what happened to cause the leak. Most likely DA error.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by white lincoln View Post
Thanks Ralph, I appreciate the feedback.

Funny thing is, I COULD SWEAR I HAD THE GASKET IN PERFECT!!!! Argh... never fails to forget or miss a step doing something.

Back to the drawing board.. .lol

Will let you all know this weekend what happened to cause the leak. Most likely DA error.
Is the valve cover warped ?
If that one spit won't seal again load it up with black rtv and fill the gap but just make sure its cured be for trying to start it back up..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Hi 94,
I found the issue I believe, but the valve cover being warped may be one of the issues. I was thinking I would like some chrome valve covers....

The spacer that the bolt goes through that the bolts mount in has a grommet and they were smashed down, hard and no longer allowing the valve cover to seat tight.

I found a set of grommets in a package (10) that said "Valve stem seal" yet, as mentioned, there are only 10 in the package. If they were for the valve stem, there would 24. They fit perfect on the spacer and added more space for the bolt to tighten down the valve cover. I had to cut the old grommets off the space because they were so hard.

The valve cover gasket itself (Felpro Blue) was still in great shape so I am using it again. I just needed to clean them up.

Getting the passenger side valve cover out was a bitch because of the intake wiring and coolant line.

More to come once I get it back together... going to look at some new valve covers to see if it would be worth replacing them.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Got it all back together, but something is not right. I have a vacuum line not connected right, lose or something else. It is running okay but has a hiccup in it when idling.

I'm beat.. tomorrow I'll track down the hesitation.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Update

Car is running fine again. I did not tighten the return exhaust to the EGR valve.

No leaks at the valve covers, but I will need to keep an eye on them.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in